Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer eRecovery Disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 randys53

randys53

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

This is a beaut...after a string of fluke circumstances, I had to order Acer's eRecovery disks. I had to install Windows 7 on a new drive. They consist of 1 System disk, 3 Recovery disks and a language disk. I booted off of the system disk and made it through most of the third recovery disk when the power got interrupted. I wasn't sure how smart the set up program was. Would it pick up where it left off or would I need to just start over and let it wipe out what I had done so far. 

It didn't pick up where it left off. Rebooting with either the recovery disk as the boot device or off of the hard drive resulted with the error: Windows has failed to start. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer. Select language and then Repair your computer. 

Unfortunately Acer's programmers don't allow you to do this. I put in the original system disk that worked fine on the brand new empty drive. However with the unfinished install, the disk doesn't allow a re-install. It says: Please complete your operating system install before doing system recovery! I can't! What idiot at Acer doesn't allow for a failed install where a user can't start over? With an empty drive, it gave options from recovering the OS to doing a full factory install recovery but with a failed install it doesn't allow the option to wipe out what was done and start over? It's absurd. 

I'm going to boot from an Ubuntu DVD, try to delete the files and see if the System Recovery will do an install like it did initially. 

How can a company release a product so poorly implemented? I guess they figure a Windows install never fails. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 randys53

randys53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Update: I booted the PC with Ubuntu and deleted the files, hoping the system install program would start again but it must be checking for hidden system files because I still got the message "Please complete your operating system install before doing system recovery". Unbelievable. I posted this on a YouTube video posted by Acer Support on eRecovery since trying to contact them on phone or email seems difficult. They always require my serial number and when i enter it I am told my machine is no longer under warranty.    

#3 randys53

randys53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Another update: I used the Ubuntu OS Uninstaller. I ran to completion, removing Windows 7 and reported that it has reformatted the disk. Yet when I try booting with the Acer supplied system disk I am still being told to complete the OS setup before using the erecovery tool...which again is the same disk that started the setup on the brand new clean hard drive. This is maddening. There has to be something on on the drive that the system disk sees but what? I reformatted the drive. 

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi

I suggest deleting all the partitions and then try the recovery DVD set. Please download "Partition Wizard" bootable cd from   http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

This will help you to remove all partitions properly.

#5 randys53

randys53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This has driven me crazy. What I did was exchange the drive for a new one. I ran the eRecovery set up program and it ran. Went through all of the disks and the restore completed. After that it counted down to a reboot that would start Windows. The files loaded and the Windows animation started. The animation only got as far as showing the first 3 colors (red, green, blue) of the Windows logo appear before it rebooted. That's as far as it gets. This is using Acer's factory set of disks on my Acer M3450 with a clean drive. 

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hi

Are you sure the HDD you replaced is in good condition ? . I recommend running manufacturer's diagnostic test first verify the condition of the hard disk. For Seagate, smasung and Maxtor drives, Seatools For DOS is the official diagnostics program. Run a "Long" test with it.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

Did you experienced any hanging or crashing problems before trying to recover the OS ?. If so it will be more than likely a hardware fault. HDD and RAM are the primary things to check. To test the RAM sticks, you can try plugging only one RAM at a time (if 2 sticks are available).

#7 randys53

randys53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

It's brand new. The system is new. The original drive died but was not because of the machine. The machine had been working fine. It didn't crash and didn't hang up. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users