Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD drive not working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 racerboy146

racerboy146

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi!

I have a have been having problems with my laptop's (it's a Dell Inspiron N5110,with windows 7 home premium 64 bit) cd drive. I bought the computer 2 years ago, and the drive worked up until about 6 months ago. The computer has had many other problems over the two years I've had it, and I figured it was on it's last leg (it was overheating constantly, and was getting tons of viruses and other problems.) and I didn't "need" the drive, so I didn't look into it. Well, 6 months later, it's still going, and I got rid of the viruses, and now I really want to burn a few home movies again. The thing is, the drive still doesn't work correctly. The drive won't open on it's own, and the light isn't working on the drive. But I decided to try and get it working a few days ago anyways. So I used a paperclip in the little hole on the drive to pop it open, and inserted a cd. When I did, I heard the cd spin, and then stop a few times. Then I clicked on my computer to try and see it anything showed up, and nothing did. So I tried clicking on the drive to see if it will make a difference. When I did, a message popped up that said:

"Insert Disc

Insert a disc.

Please insert a disc into drive D:."

At the bottom, it said help me choose a disc. But that was just some help files that had nothing to do with the problem. Also, when the message popped up, it sounded like it was trying to eject the disc. But, as I said earlier, the drive won't open without using a paperclip. So it didn't open.

I did some research and found a few things, and I tried some of them, including deleting the filters in the registry, but it didn't help. I got tired of messing around with it, and figured the drive was shot, so I gave up on it and shut the computer down.

Well, a few days later (today) I started up my computer, and I heard the disc drive spin. (I left the cd in the drive by mistake a few days ago.) When I clicked on "my documents" to find a pdf file I needed, I noticed that the cd drive was showing that it had a cd in it. I clicked on it, and it started playing! At this point, I figured I'd burn a few of my home videos in case it decided not to work again. But when I ejected the cd and inserted my blank dvd, it wouldn't load the dvd. It's displaying the same message as before.(Insert Disc) I decided to try and restart the computer to see if the computer would recognise the disc like it did with the cd. No such luck. I tried restarting it with the same cd in it, and it didn't work.....

Does anybody know how to get my cd drive working again? Or know why it did what it did today? I really want to get it working again so that I can make some movies again.

Thank You

Brody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hi Brody,

No promises but have you gone to the Dell site and downloaded the latest and greatest drivers for your model CD/DVD player/burner?

A dim memory tells me that there were some updates by operating systems and security softwares that may have had an adverse effect on your drive.

I do hope you are keeping a good antivirus program active in your system

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Brody,

I appreciate the detailed description provided by you and suggest you to run the Microsoft Fixit provided in the following link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

You will need to clean the lens with a CD/DVD Lens Cleaner disk if the Fixit fails to resolve the issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#4 racerboy146

racerboy146
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. Dicke, I looked, but didn't find anything that needed updating.

Rajathatdell, I tried using the microsoft fixit program before I posted on here, but whenever I try to use it, I get an error saying:

"Troubleshooting cannot continue because and error has occured.

We're sorry but the program encountered an error and cannot continue.

Please try again later."

I've tried it mutiple times since you recomended it, and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

#5 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hi racerboy146,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. You will need to uninstall the CD/DVD drive from the Device Manager and restart the computer. This will refresh the drivers and the drive will get detected properly.

Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users