Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI Virus - removed, computer still running slow - what next?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerdummie1

computerdummie1

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Greetings, computer experts!

I got the "FBI Virus" a couple of days ago - totally locked up my computer - yikes, I never knew looking at real estate overseas was illegal and gonna get me 7 years in prison......yeah right.......

After spending several hours researching on a relatives computer I followed instructions from bleepingcomputer -

1) In safe mode with networking, I was able to download Emsisoft - it took a while, but found 6 infections. I quarantined, as per the instructions, and was able to restart computer, with some sort of error message.

2) I did the Secunia thingy, updated a few things it said needed it.

Ok - so I am back using the computer, but it's running very slow.  The fan is running constantly, which to me says something is running in the background.  Something is still messed up! Darn that FBI!  ; )

The error message I get when starting says "RUN DLL  "There was a problem starting" c/program~T07R.DOT  "the specified module could not be found"

What would you advise I do next?  Why was I supposed to "quarantine", and not delete or remove the infection?  I use AVAST free version, which obviously didn't catch this FBI thingamajig!

Thank you in advance for ANY help, I will follow any and all instructions!

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2013 - 04:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Exactly...what directions did you follow?

AFAIK...removal of the named malware item...is designed for a given user.  There is no standard procedure that can be referenced/used by anyone who happens to be infected.

A link to what you were reading, please.

Louis

#3 computerdummie1

computerdummie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Louis, thank you for the reply.

I had to google "AFAIK", I thought it was some sorta virus removal thingy you were talkin' about.....  ; )

Here is a link to the FBI removal guide, I talked about in my original post, from here at bleepingcomputer, it looked like a general fix, and not designed for anyone in paticular?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-online-agent-ransomware

It looks like by running Malawarebyes again, I found two things that by removing, I know no longer get that error message thingy at startup - BUT, sumtthin is goin' on, as the fan is running constantly, and the computer is running slow.

Help me, oh computer wizards!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users