Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Showwnd.exe In Startup?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 batya7

batya7

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:57 AM

I'm new to BC and have a moderate amount of computer experience, but obviously need more. I want to make my machines run faster and get rid of the clutter.

Computer has been running slow, though only a year old, and I just did a haircut on my startup file and couldn't decide on ShowWnd.exe. The Startup Programs section says "Added by an unidentified backdoor TROJAN!" Whhaaaatttt??? I disabled it but am not sure I did the right thing.

I routinely run Spybot, AdAware SE, Microsoft AntiSpy and Spyware blaster as well as Avast Antivirus. I have Windows XP firewall on. Rarely open email in Outlook; usually view email through Hotmail or webmail browser.

Questions:
First- is this really a trojan or is it a Microsoft program?
Second-Could this have been added through one of the online games that my kids play?
Third-If so, how can I protect against trojans when kids play?
Fourth- I downloaded "Autoruns" by Sysinternals Freeware, and only looked at it briefly. Is this a tool I can use to identify Trojans, etc.?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

Is this a Gateway computer? That file can be a Chicony keyboard software entry. Go to Start -> Run and type in
msconfig
and hit enter. Then go to the Startup tab and find this entry. Move the little bars at the top around so you can see the path of the file and see where it is located. That will help determine what it is.

Or, conversely, go to the Control Panel, open Add/Remove Programs, and see if there is a "Multimedia Keyboard Driver" entry. That would be for the keyboard.

If you have a Gateway computer and if you have the multimedia entry, don't worry about it. If you do not have a Gateway computer, then it's bad. I would recommend you post a Hijack log here. First, read this pinned post.

If you do post a hijack log, be sure it is extracted and installed in a folder in C:, preferably C:\Program Files\Hijackthis
It should not be used without extracting and should not be run from the desktop.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

I found this...showwnd - showwnd.exe - Process Information

Process File: showwnd or showwnd.exe
Process Name: Unclassified Trojan

Description:
showwnd.exe is a process which is registered as the Unclassified Trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Of course the site also trys to sell you their removal program, but I also found an alternative here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-a-trojan-virus-worm-or-malware/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users