Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator disabled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joel0711

joel0711

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Trying to run system repair after going to safe mode. I am getting screen to log on as adminsitrator. When I try to I am getting a notice that system has been disabled, contact your administrator,--which is fine and "dandy"-- but I'm the administrator!! Any advise on how to log in as administrator to run the repair program---thanks--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DasNasty

DasNasty

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Can you boot Windows up normally as an administrator, at least?  If so, you will need to activate the built-in Administrator (it is, by default, hidden) to work in safe mode.  This is because while the group of users who are administrators (including your own account) may be disabled, but the built-in Administrator account will always have full admin privileges.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Open the Start menu

2. Under the start search menu, go under All Programs -> Accessories and click on Command Prompt or search for cmd and click the first result

3. Type this method in: net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter

4. Close out of the command prompt and reboot Windows into safe mode

5. Log in as the now-visible Administrator account

If you have any further issues or cannot log in normally as an administrator, please let me know.

#3 joel0711

joel0711
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the assist!!

#4 DasNasty

DasNasty

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

No problem! smile.gif

EDIT: If you want to disable the administrator account (as it is not password-protected), take the following steps.

PLEASE NOTE: Do not log into the built-in admin account when you take these steps! Do it from your user-defined administrator account (the one you log into normally)!

1. Boot windows up normally

2. Go back to the command prompt (as an admin, obviously)

3. Type this method in: net user administrator /active:no and hit enter

4. Exit the command prompt

You should be good from there.

Edited by DasNasty, 26 May 2013 - 10:16 AM.

#5 joel0711

joel0711
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

Will do--thanks again!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users