Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Date Format Is Screwy?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:49 AM

I'm trying to create an order form that will have some auto fill fields such as date, consecutive order number etc...

The first snag is the the date cell. Ideally I would like it to auto fill this field with the days date upon opening the spreadsheet, I couldn't figure that out so under 'format cell' I designated it as 'date' and chose dd/mm/yy as the format.

The weird thing is that when I enter the numbers for the date in that cell it show up as a completely different date. Example, I click on that cell and type: 041206 for todays date and the cell displays 10/24/12 ?? What the heck is that?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

I have had, what I think to be similar problems and when you set the format to something specific (like mm/dd/yy) that is how you have to enter it, including the "/".

If you do it without the slash then excel interprets it differently and changes it. I am not sure why it does this or what it is doing but I do remember that typing the date exactly how the format was set ... solved my problem.

#3 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hmm... then whats the point of designating it as a date cell with a specific format, if it has to be entered that way the cell could be designated as text, general, anything. That doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the reply, but I think there has to be a better explanation.

PS. Love the Seinfled referrence in your name!

#4 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

ha .... thanks and sorry.

Thanks for the comment on the user name and sorry I could not be more help.

I know it does sound silly that you can't simply enter the date and let excel convert it to the format that you select, especially considering that every other program allows this.

IF you figure it out, please check back in. As I have had this same problem before, I would feel better knowing how to work around this in the future.

Good Luck.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

Are you using the =NOW() and then selecting the number format for the cell?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

jgweed- No, I'm not using that, what do you mean? Can you elaborate? I'm just right clicking on the cell-format cell, selecting date and then selecting the format i.e. mm/dd/yy

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

=now() returns the computer time and date to the cell (this will change when you update the spreadsheet, though); you can then format the cell as needed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

Ah ha! That worked. That does what I wanted it to do, fill in the cell automatically.

Thanks a lot!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users