Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Identifying Coupling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gus_19

Gus_19

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I'm trying to put on a new backlit keyboard for my XFR D630 with touchscreen. Unfortunately I did not receive the correct power connectors. While still dealing with the company on getting it corrected, I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this type of coupling or where I may be able to purchase one.

It's a male connector coupling, with five pins. Not sure if it's made specific by Dell, but hoping there's someplace out on the internet (which I cannot find so far) which sells them. The second picture shows one of the power cords in hopes to display the picture 'to scale' as best as possible. Attached File  DSCF2606.JPG   99.43KB   7 downloadsAttached File  DSCF2607.JPG   110.69KB   6 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

I have no idea where you could source a brand new one of these sockets unless your local electronics supplier can help, but these sockets are fairly generic. How about trying to desolder one off a scrap board ?  I don't think these sockets are surface mounted, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 deadzoo

deadzoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

Have you found a solution? I also have a XFR D630, I purchased a backlit keyboard and it has in addition to the ribbon, a seperate cable that on one end connects to the keyboard then on the other end it splits into two male connectors, the regular keyboard only has the single ribbon. I had initially thought these two male connectors plug into the motherboard somewhere, but there is no place for them to connect. 

XFR D630`s have a backlit keyboard option. Does Dell make a different motherboard for each keyboard?

Any help/information with this is appreciated, 

#4 Gus_19

Gus_19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Deadzoo -- I'm assuming you have the original 'non-touch' screen. I recently upgraded to the touchscreen, so please bear with me and my memory. I don't believe the two male connectors work with the original screen and they are only there to supply power/driver data to a touchscreen monitor. Are you sure the connectors are male, not female? Do they detach from the keyboard or are they crimped/soldered into the wire. I only ask because if they are clip/non-crimped connections and you don't need them, I'd gladly purchase them from you. Again, I could be wrong because without one extra coupling (pictured above) I cannot get my touchscreen to work. Does the backlit display on the keyboard work? And to answer your question about the mobo, no there is now power connection on the T892F motherboard. 

Chris, I've explored the option of splicing/sodering, but really only want to do that as a last resort. I've e-mailed the company which I purchased the keyboard from, but have yet to receive a response. The keyboard of course works with the ribbon attached, but I need the coupling for power to the backlit as well as providing driver communication to the touchscreen.

My buddy and I are assuming this male coupling is some design by Dell and not a mass produced one, mainly because the 'clip' design in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users