Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vga to hdmi adapters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

HI,I have DELL E521,The on board video card has only vga out put and i am trying to hook it up to a

PANASONIC HDTV,the video card i had in it went and can not afford another right now,but ran across a

VGA TO HDMI adapter that goes from VGA on PC to HDMI on HDTV now this TV has been connected 

to this PC before with add on video card.

But when i hooked up from PC to HDTV by way VGA adapter with HDMI end to HDTV no display and

as usual it is probably something simple and stupid i am doing wrong any thoughts would be appreciated the adapter only cost me $3.80,so it was worth a try,thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:46 AM

what is the size of your TV, I heard people say TV under 32" can be  used as a computer monitor

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:37 AM

Can you provide a link to the adapter you have used? You cannot simply change the connector and have it work because the two signals are completely different (VGA is analog and HDMI is digital). A VGA to HDMI converter is quite expensive - adapters are usually just something used in complementary pairs to make an emergency connection when you have two of the same devices (eg VGA to VGA) but the wrong type of cable.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

True.  You can convert VGA to DVI/HDMI but it takes electronics to convert them.  There is no such thing as a $3.80 adapter to convert the signals.

Edited by dpunisher, 25 May 2013 - 06:52 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi

VGA to HDMI adapters came in two flavor. Some of them only supports video while others supports both video and audio by combining sound output from the PC. 

When you buy from online, make sure to choose top rated sellers. There are lot of cheap converters available in ebay. Here is an example one. So far this is the cheapest i can find.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-to-VGA-Video-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Audio-Cable-Cord-for-HDTV-PC-/251270024437

An example one which supports audio conversion - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-VGA-to-HDMI-HD-HDTV-Video-Converter-Box-1080P-/220702276642

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 25 May 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

This is where you have to be careful and read.

The first adapter/converter is HDMI to VGA, not the other way around.  It won't do VGA to HDMI like the second listing.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi

dpunisher is right. It's my mistake to post the wrong link.  :blush:  . I found the cheapest VGA to HDMI video only cable from Amazon  - http://www.amazon.com/Video-Cable-Black-Support-Necessary/dp/B002TUC64W

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

The fine print on that Amazon cable: 

• NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information.

#9 JH1

JH1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

well, seriously, the cost of the cable + shipping fee are nearly getting a new graphic card; moreover, the quality of an onboard video card is usually worse the a standalone graphic card, right?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Hi

Yes, it will be better to buy an entry level graphic card than buying a converter. Either Nvidia 610 or ATI 5450 is enough.Make sure to check for HDMI port when buying.

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

HI,I put my $3.80 cable on the other DELL E521 that i had added a GALAXY GT 610 and it did not work so a better videocard

is not the answer.

Like some posters have said that a new video card is the easier and cheaper way to go,that GT610 card i put in

the other DELL E521 it would not in it had bars on screen took out and used on board video card and screen

came back on smaller display so may be i have problem with DELL E521 i am on right now as GT610 is still

working on other E521 for about 2 months no problems.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

HI,I put my $3.80 cable on the other DELL E521 that i had added a GALAXY GT 610 and it did not work so a better videocard

is not the answer.

It didn't work because that combination of output and input cannot work, on any video card. The suggestion of a video card was so that you had more options than just VGA output.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi

Most of today's entry level cards are came with HDMI port. Some of them also came without it so make sure to buy one with HDMI in it.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 26 May 2013 - 11:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users