Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Basic drivers for HP Deskjet F4240 for Windows 8??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bonzer

Bonzer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

Have new laptop w/Windows 8 and only drivers I can find for my HP Deskjet F4240 printer is a full-feature software download. Decided to download it anyway but it's 1,234 MB and after half an hour I had downloaded 135MB. Don't have 5 hours to spend downloading a program I don't even want. On the same HP page where the full software is available, it says "If you only want the print driver (without the Deskjet Software Suite), it is available as a separate download named "HP Deskjet Basic Driver".  I searched and searched and cannot find that ANYWHERE.  There are a couple of sites where you can pay them $29.95 or something and they hint that they have the basic driver, but I don't think I should have to pay and don't trust them anyway.  I am too frustrated.  Old computer is about to give out and I need to get the printer going with this one.  Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonzer

Bonzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Of course, all I had to do was finally post this issue and it would be resolved. I finally found a "driver install wizard" on the HP support site and downloaded and ran it.  It somehow "discovered" that the correct drivers were already loaded on my laptop (whaaaa???) Did a test page, and sure enough, the printer worked.  I have no idea how that happened unless somehow the basic drivers got installed in the beginning of the 5 hour download that I cancelled after half an hour.  Well, if this helps someone else, it will have been worth posting anyway.  Thanks for being here, Bleeping Computer!!!

Edited by Bonzer, 25 May 2013 - 01:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users