Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallation of Windows 7 OS due to Corruption

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 pandabird

pandabird

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I need some assistance and guidance as how to properly re-install the Windows 7 OS after possible corruption of my system.   Something that was run must have made some changes in the registry etc. that require me to re-load certain drivers continually after re-booting. Active malware is unlikely but possible corruption from a past infection found by my Avast antivirus program or ESET may need to be repaired. I use the Windows 7 Firewall.

I do not download many programs other than recommended security/utility programs. I am very cautious but a recommended program may have had a conflict with my system affecting it. (I can discuss my security measures further if needed)

I have used Windows Backup to backup all important files/folders. I have made a System Image, although the present one is not quite current.

I would appreciate help in doing as simple a re-install possible to repair my system. If I could do a repair installation that does not require re-installing all my disks for the major programs, especially in Word Processing that would be great.  Any link/sites/ info tools that can be provided in addition would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2013 - 01:04 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi

I recommend doing a repair install first. Read the below guide which covers step by step instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

If the problem still remains, reformat and re-install. Below guides will help you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

http://www.petri.co.il/ultimate-guide-to-installing-windows-7.htm

#3 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:32 PM

Thanks.

I'm a bit confused as what to use here. I have a WIN 7 SP1 x64 bit system. I do not know if I have a factory OEM/retail OEM and/or whether or not to use the Windows tool to make a .iso disk etc.Also, does this type of repair allow me to avoid re-installing MS-Word etc. with their disks? It sounds like some drivers may need to be re-installed from disks. If I can make a system image and/or use the Windows Backup System Image that was created to simplify adding drivers let me know.

I will have to prepare everything needed in advance and print all these instructions out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Warning
  • You can only do a repair install with the same edition Windows 7 installation disc for the same edition of Windows 7 that you have installed.
  • You cannot use a OEM Windows 7 "Factory" Restore/Recovery type of installation disc that came with or created from a store bought computer to do a repair install with. These can only be used do a clean install instead.
  • You can do a repair install on a factory OEM installation with the latest official Windows 7 with SP1 ISO file here: Microsoft: Windows 7 Direct Download Links, and use Windows 7 USB-DVD Download Tool to create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive with the ISO to do the repair install from within Windows 7.
  • You can use a retail OEM Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
  • You can use a retail (full or upgrade) Windows 7 installation disc to do a repair install with.
  • You cannot do a repair install with a System Repair Disc. A System Repair Disc is not a installation disc, and will only boot to the System Recovery Options screen.
  • If you have a 32-bit (x86) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 32-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.
  • If you have a 64-bit (x64) Windows 7 currently installed, then you must use a 64-bit Windows 7 installation disc to be able to do a repair install with.
  • You can use a retail Windows 7 SP1 installation disc (ex: Technet (available), MSDN (available), or retail (when available)) to do a repair install with on a currently installed Windows 7 SP1.

My HiJackThis log is being posted. I am pasting it and maybe you can give me some idea of how corrupt my system may be. If I can avoid a reinstall great but I may have too much going wrong.

Mod Edit:  Removed HJT log, not used/allowed in this forum - Hamluis.

I appreciate your guidance.

Edited by hamluis, 25 May 2013 - 04:48 PM.
Removed HJT data - Hamluis.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hi

If you are having a laptop, you need to use the OEM recovery function that came pre-installed with the laptop. Please post the full model name of the laptop and the description of the exact issue you are experiencing. We can try to repair the OS first and if not possible, a factory image restore.

#5 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

I have a desktop DELL INSPIRON 8300 x64 bit. I'm still reading this info, backing up, and trying to organize my system to prepare for this. My HJK log shows a lot of missing system files so a major re-install may be warranted.  If a CHKDSK type operation might work let me know and what to try doing.  Will work on this today/tomorrow this weekend. Thanks.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Hi

Since you have an OEM Windows 7 and your machine came without an install CD,a repair install is out of question. You can try the built in system file checking function in Windows to attempt repairing the corrupted files. To do that, open an elevated command prompt and enter SFC /SCANNOW in it. After checking the core system files, SFC will show a status message. If it reports non correctable errors, you may need to perform a factory image recovery.

But Dell Dimension 8300 is an old model and no way it came preinstalled with Windows 7. How old is the system ?

#7 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

I re-checked my computer documentation in my hardcopy folders; I obtained info entered to my profile from the Speccy program. I have a DELL XPS -X8300-1225NBK DIMENSION per my documents from purchase. I bought this in June 2011; it was manufactured in March 2011 per the tag on the computer. (I thought that I had a DELL Inspiron but that is my monitor).

I found the Windows 7 Installation disk and the drivers disk. How do you know that I have an OEM Windows 7? So it seems like I might be able to do a repair installation if needed with this. (I do not understand why I cannot use a .iso created disk approach if desired or needed).

I will first try the sfc /scannow and see how this works. What is the difference between this and CHKDSK?  I'm not sure how both are used and what they do differently if you have a link that explains this. After this I will try re-installing software etc. for the device of concern, my printer drivers. After this I think i will be forced to go through the re-install; i may need to do this anyway.

[I'll also need to look into possible hardware failure. It is certainly possible that my hard drive may be giving me a sign. In a previous computer weird thigs happened and soon after the hard drive died.] Lets  hold of exploring this for now.

I checked out my HJK log looking at many of the items noted as having "missing files" etc. I searched for those programs on my machine and went to the location stored and most of those noted missing were actually present. I do NOT know why HJK detected and listed those items. There may be problem with the Directory Index vs. actually program location. I scanned a few when at the location with Avast AV but found know infection.  This may or may not be a problem.

Thanks again.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

I checked out my HJK log looking at many of the items noted as having "missing files" etc. I searched for those programs on my machine and went to the location stored and most of those noted missing were actually present. I do NOT know why HJK detected and listed those items. There may be problem with the Directory Index vs. actually program location. I scanned a few when at the location with Avast AV but found know infection.  This may or may not be a problem.

Thanks again.

If you suspect that you have a malware problem...this is not the forum for such.  This forum focuses on Windows 7 issues.

If this is the case, I can move this topic to the Am I Infected forum...where the more knowledgeable can affirm/refute such speculation about infection/malware.

Lousi

#9 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

I think that I may have either malware or corruption from a program. I need to look at both forums. Maybe I should hold off with a re-install until I do a good look at my system along with questionable items with a Malware Expert.

I was looking in my Registry and in a Key that had garbled stuff such as ??? etc. there was also an entry for a  Value:  PendingFileRenameOperations noted as 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Lexmark S300-S400 Series\tmp7C9F.tmp.   This *.tmp file may be givng me my problem as I am having difficulty with printer communication to my computer. It is erratic needing a driver software reload after any reboot in order to print.

Please refer me to someone in malware and I could go through some quick checks there. If I am doing a repair (NOT Clean install) keeping many programs on here i may need to do this anyway.
Thanks.

Mod Edit:  Moved topic to Am I Infected forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 26 May 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hi

SFC stands for System File Checker . It checks the integrity of core Windows files. If the check sum of any file is different than expected, it will try to replace them with a backup copy  located in WinSXS folder. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker

Check disk is a program to check and correct file system errors (FAT, NTFS ). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK

Yes, you can use the Dell OEM Windows DVD to either do a repair install or reinstall. It is better to do a clean install as it will also removes any possible malwares.   

You can check the hardware components using Dell diagnostics. To do that, keep pressing F12 during power on. You will see a boot menu option. Choose "Diagnostics"  from the menu and let it to do a complete test.

#11 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

As I've mentioned earlier I 've been having trouble with "printer communication" failure needing a a re-loading of drivers after each reboot.  I uninstalled my printer software then reinstalled it. Things automatically updated via online and then after a visit to Windows Update then with a reboot. After the reboot I seem to be able to print with no problem now. This part of my problem seems to be resolved.

I still need to be concerned about corruption on my computer from the rootkits and other malware recently detected by my programs. This is in addition to possible corruption due to possible installed software etc. I did notice corruption in my registry with "garble" at one key (I deleted the garble); in the same area there was a weird entry to a *.tmp file with a "/??/" entry at the beginning of the line.[Now deleted and no longer present anymore since my re-install of the printer software]. 

Due to all this 'possible" corruption I my want to do a "System Reinstall" per prior instructions but I am holding off now. I will still need to be sure my system is free of "active",alware  I am avoiding a complete re-installation of all program again although the Registry may need to be fixed, if anything.

I've run the SFC /SCANNOW  and no problems were found in my system files fortunately.  I still need to run the F12 DELL Diagnostics; I've found in the past that when "weird things" start happening it could also be a sign of hardware/hard drive failure so this may need to be checked. I should also take a look at my Window Event Viewer Logs for system problems.

I would like to look at my system and make sure it is CLEAN. I am pasting a recent log from my Avast Antivirus of rootkits found and deleted by me. I have run my Antivirus on "higest heuristic" with ALL unpackers for detection to find this and other trojans/viruses etc.

In addition my Malwarebytes-Pro has just been repeatedly blocking outbound traffic from "avastsvc.exe" to IP address 46.229.165.2, an address found to be in Netherlands so "suspicious" as to what is on my machine setting this off.

I will provide more as needed. Thank you.

========================================

* avast! Scan Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Scan name: C: Drive only
* Started on: Sunday, May 19, 2013 11:34:00 PM
* VPS: 130519-1, 05/19/2013

C:\avast! sandbox\S-1-5-21-1955353798-2932276707-1562356408-1000\sfzone\C\Users\OWNER\AppData\Local\Temp\CRX_DF399A9B283A\ChromeRecovery.exe [L] Rootkit: hidden file (0)
C:\avast! sandbox\S-1-5-21-1955353798-2932276707-1562356408-1000\sfzone\C\Users\OWNER\AppData\Local\Temp\CRX_DF399A9B283A\GoogleUpdateSetup.exe [L] Rootkit: hidden file (0)

=======================================

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Reference:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496976/infection-trying-to-make-outbound-connections-to-bad-ip/#entry3069764 .

Now that you have properly posted a topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum, this topic is now closed to avoid possible confusion.

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users