Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

game has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Paulray11

Paulray11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

when i try to install this game a error comes up "Jack the ripper .exe has stopped working windows is checking for a solution to the problem" then a second
error "Jack the ripper .exe has stopped working a problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available".I've tried it in safe mode and it works ,have you any idea what this problem is and how i can fix it please.Thanks,
                                                                                Paul 
  •  

Edited by Paulray11, 25 May 2013 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi, it could be any number of things.  First, please tell us the following info:

• Windows version and service pack number
  • All machine specs -- Processor, ram, video card, etc.
  • Which Anti-virus are you using
  • Is Windows Firewall on?
  • Full game name

This info will give us a baseline from which to work.

Thanks

It could be your anti-virus closing it down, it could be that your machine doesn't meet the min specs, it could be that you need to install as administrator or other things, too. 

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#3 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

windows 7 home premium service pack 1

processor-Intel® Core™ i3 CPU M380 @2.53GHz  2.53GHz

RAM-2.00GB (1.86 usable)

video card-Intel® HD Graphics

system type-64-bit operating system

I'm using avast anti-virus and firewall 

the name of the game is Jack the Ripper letters from hell by mastertronic

I've tried installing with anti-virus switched off,it says on the box it's windows 7 compatible and i've tried running as administrator.

#4 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Please check with your computer manufacturer for updated drivers for everything.  Processor, graphics and everything else.  Let's make sure you are up to date first.  If you need help let me know the make and model of the machine.

That is not a graphics card.  It is built in graphics chip, FYI.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#5 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've made sure everything is up to date and checked device manager and there's no yellow ! marks next to anything.I apologise about the graphics card but this my first computer and i'm just a beginner.

#6 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:44 PM

If you completely install in safe mode (place icon on your desktop), can you see if you can play in normal mode?

#7 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure it completely installs,it just stays in DVD/CD drive and plays from there and i've created shortcut to desktop but it still doesn't work in normal mode.

#8 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

So you can play it in safe mode?

Is it listed in the Control Panel as installed?  Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features.  Once that loads see if it is listed there.  Could be under Jack the Ripper or perhaps under Mastertronic.

#9 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

yes it works in safe mode.It isn't listed as installed.

#10 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

I wish I could sit in front of your machine. 

A couple thoughts I have.  Is there a real installation?  Or do you just play from disc? By "real installation" I mean does it ask you to choose an install directory, and other options?  Does it make you accept a Terms of Service or End User License Agreement?  If you do choose an install directory, what is it?  Please search on your C drive for terms such as "Jack the Ripper", or perhaps just "Ripper" or "mastertronic".  Please let me know what the search results are.

#11 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Play from the disk no real installation it doesn't ask to choose anything.

#12 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Try this:  Go to My computer. Right click on the disc player that holds the CD.  Then click open.  It should open a directory so you can see what is on the disc.  There should be an .exe there that is the main start up file.  It may be called Jack the Ripper.exe.  Right click it.  Then hover on "send to".  Then click on "desktop (create shortcut)". 

Next go to the desktop and try to run it from the new shortcut we made. 

If it doesn't work, right click on the shortcut we created.  There's a couple things we can try here.  We can click troubleshoot compatibility.  But first lets go to Properties.  In the properties box that pops up, click on the compatibility tab.  Place a check mark in run as administrator.  Click OK to close the box. Try the game. 

If it doesn't work, go back to the properties and compatibility tab, place a check mark in "Run this program in compability mode for".  The default should be Windows XP, service pack 3.  Leave that and then click Ok.  Try the game now. 

If it doesn't work, go back to properties and then compatibility tab.  You can try the process of elimination by clicking on other Windows versions under compatibility.  You can try the other XP option(s), then Windows 98, then even Windows 95.  Try the game after each of those. 

If it still doesn't work, change it back to XP service 3 compatibility and then place a check mark in one of the little boxes under the Settings section such as "run in 256 colors".  Make sure you keep notes on what you changed.  It may be a combination of Settings changes and Windows versions.  Make one change at a time.  Try the game after each change. 

Let me know how it turns out.

Edited by Dacar92, 31 May 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#13 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

I've tried all that and it didn't work.

#14 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

If you have tried all that...all the possible combinations in the Compatibility section, then I don't know what else to tell you.  There is little information about this game online.  Seems to be no forums and no support at the Mastertronic site.  I would call them.  Last hope.  Unless you have another machine to try.

#15 paulray

paulray

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Isn't there a way to find out what the service that's starting in normal mode is that's causing the problem,i've tried clean boot but it didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users