Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not loading Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kuhnbt

kuhnbt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Please forgive any errors as i am typing this on an ipod touch. I have a laptop running Windows 7 that does not boot the operating system. When I turn it on it displays the emachines logo and "press f2 to enter setup". If I press f2 nothing happens unless I hold the button as the computer is starting, in which case it says "please wait", and then doesn't do anything further.

The laptop was working fine until yesterday, when I was using it with just the battery, and it powered off (presumably because the battery had run out...the battery does not work well and I usually use it with the power cord). When I plugged it in and tried to power up this is what happened.

I've read some tutorials and tried the following: pressing f8 as it powers on (does nothing), holding esc as it powers up (shows some system information but no further options), pressing f2 as it starts up (nothing as previously mentioned). I don't have the system boot disk - a further complication is that I'm working remotely from Mexico (so really need this laptop). Is there anything else I can try to get this started?

Many thanks,
Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi

From the description you provided, it looks like  a hardware problem. Hanging at  "Please wait" while entering BIOS normally indicates an undetected hard disk. Of course there are other reasons but first thing you should try is unplugging the HDD and check if the system can enter in to the BIOS. You can access the HDD by removing a small cover in the bottom. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 24 May 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Some components inside the computer can be damaged by electrostatic discharges.  As a precaution you should touch something metal close at hand to discharge static electricity in you body before touching anything inside the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Battery issues can also be part of the problem. Most laptops run off the battery, even when the power cord is plugged in -- essentially, the battery continues to power the laptop while the power cord is recharging the battery.

When the battery dies or is nearly dead, you can experience problems booting up even when the power cord is plugged in because there just isn't enough of a charge in the battery to power up the laptop.

#5 kuhnbt

kuhnbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the responses. I made preparations to open up the computer, then turned it on this morning and it booted windows without me having done anything! So I don't know if that means the problem is solved, but I'm happy for now. Thanks again for the advice, I'm glad I haven't had to use it (yet).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

One of the problems that can occur when the power is terminated unexpectedly is it can damage applications that are running at that time.

To be on the safe side I would suggest running sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, the type in cmd in the Search programs and files.

cmd will appear in Programs above, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.   

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.  

A page similar to the one below will open.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.

If the scan finds no problem in the first portion of the scan it may stop, if it does not restart within five minutes type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users