Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Menu Command?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

How do i get to the menu that tells me what is loading at startup so I can change what loads? I know I go to Start-Run but I forgot what to type in, I thought it was wincfg but that's not workiing.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:28 AM

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes)

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

There is a much better and easier to use startup manager named Startup Inspector which is freeware available at the following link:

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

It is better and easier to use than msconfig as it identifies the aps that the startup entries are associated with so you do not accidently disable essential aps like your av program or firewall, etc, from running. It also doesn't alter the startup mode like msconfig may do if you do not reselect normal startup mode.

Startup Monitor, also freeware and available there is a small ap that will notify you when any program tries to add itself to your startup menu and require your permission for it to be added.

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:24 PM

I swear by Winpatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/. It gives a choice of 'startup' and more.
phantazy

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

Winpatrol looks like it would be effective but the "Plus" version is not freeware and Startup Inspector +Startup Monitor combined with Spybot gives you the same or more protection for free.

#6 WitsEnd

WitsEnd
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the input! I'll check out the startup monitors, that does sound like something I would like to have but I'm hesitant to use any freeware, I usually get burned with 'undesireables and other nasties' that get bundled with free stuff, at least thats been my experience. As they say, nothing is free. People rarely 'give' anything away for 'free' without an ulterior motive.

Thanks again!

Steve

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

People rarely 'give' anything away for 'free' without an ulterior motive.

That's completely untrue. You're getting free advice here. Most of us here use a number of free programs and recommend them. We've been using them for years and are very grateful to those who have donated their time and effort to produce them. There are indeed a number of spurious and downright threatening free programs but we don't recommend them.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

The freeware programs recommended here are not spyware, malware nor do they contain any.

You, of course, are completely entitled to pay for aps that will do no better and in many cases far less than the freeware aps recommended here if you wish.

Truthfully, I have found that many of the freeware aps recommended on this and other computer enthusiast forums are not only equal to, but in many cases far superior to commercial products for which you pay because they are not bundled with resourse intensive, complex and many times unnecessary programs or programs that duplicate the function of other freeware offerings recommended on these forums.

For example, I have found that AVG free combined with Zonealarm (free), Spybot (free), and Windows Defender (free) does a far superior job than does Norton or any of the Symantic bundles of resourse hog programs which have proven problematic in many cases. The choice is yours.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

Everything, in our list of freeware programs (all recommended by our members), is spyware free.
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

If I need a free program for anything, this is the first place I look.
If it's not on the list, I'd post here for suggestions, as I don't feel anyone here would recommend a bad program.
If they did, I'm sure someone would call them on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 13 April 2006 - 03:29 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users