Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop i7 faster than pc i7? How possible?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 humblerthanhumble

humblerthanhumble

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

My HP pc is much faster than my HP laptop with or without battery

operation. Both have about the same amount of similar data (documents,

photos etc.) and I cannot figure out why , if the have the same chip, 

one is faster than the other. Both computers are brand new. Does the 

laptop need a faster chip to be comparable to the PC? Stumped. Thanks

in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

There are several factors that contribute to the speed of a computer. The biggest factor would be the CPU, the more powerful the processor the more instructions per second the processor can execute.

Most modern processors can execute billions of instructions each second, but are limited by how fast they can receive those instructions. L2 or L3 caches help with this by transferring instructions between the processor, memory, and components in your computer. These caches are the fastest type of memory, so a computer with more L2 or L3 cache will be able to execute commands faster.

A system with more RAM will be capable of storing more programs that are currently running in memory. If the computer runs out of memory it will swap unused data in memory to the hard disk until it's needed again. Swapping data in/out of memory takes time, so a computer with more memory appears to run faster than a computer constantly swapping data.

The BUS speed of your motherboard is also a factor. BUS is a data connection between two or more components connected to your computer. 

The hard drive is also an important factor. Any instructions related to your operating system, programs, or software you have installed on your computer must transfer data stored on your hard disk drive to RAM, and then to the processor. 

Basically you could turn both computers on and it would be a race between all of the system components, not just the CPU.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

HI, To put it another way.......

There are many different speeds of I7.

a Laptop I7 will run slower than a desktop I7 due to the design of the CPU.

It uses much less power and the laptop CPU cooling system is very limited compared to desktop CPU cooling systems.

The fastest laptop will never be as fast as a desktop.

Then we factor in other factors, Such as Video card speed and hard drive speed. many laptops use a 5400RPM drive to save power, in terms of speed, generalizing now.

Slowest to fastest hard drives

5400RPM

7200RPM

10,000 RPM

15,000 RPM (Mainly servers)

SSD

My laptop boots fast because I used a SSD drive in it. However that has no effect beyond booting fast, loading programs fast, The CPU is still the same old dual core it always was.

Hope this helps

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 May 2013 - 09:10 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

There are a lot of factors that come into play, but 2 key things would be hard drive, and cpu. On a laptop Windows 8 will allow the cpu to slow down (or underclock) when it's not being used, which means it has to jolt back up when you go to do something, I believe the default is as low as 5% as compared to a desktop where it's default settings is 100%, you can change this though in your power settings. Laptops also tend to have 5400rpm hard drives unlike desktops which usually have 7200rpm, which results in lower transfer speeds eg 30mbs compared 100mbs (these are rough numbers). Laptops do an amazing job when you think about the fact that most of them have under 100watts to play with compared to a desktop which has 400-1000watts.

please keep in mind, that some difference can be caused simply by 1 computer needing a defragement more than the other :P

please keep in mind a mobile version of an i7 and a desktop version even if they are the same # , aren't necessarily equal in power but they are usually close.

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users