Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfer data between 2 hp laptops-possible in w/8?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 humblerthanhumble

humblerthanhumble

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have 2 hp laptops, one of which, I am returning. Can I transfer downloaded movies and 

other data to the one I am keeping? I know I can't transfer programs but I have many photos

and documents which would be easier to transfer than to load onto a flash drive. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I transfer all of my files to external hard drives and then onto the new computer, but you're right in that it takes some time to copy the data onto the external drive and then onto the new computer. You can purchase an 'Easy Transfer Cable' for around $20 which might speed up the process. You would connect the two laptops with the cable, open Windows Easy Transfer tool on the computer you want to pull files off of, follow the instructions, and transfer the data directly to the laptop you want to keep. I've never bothered doing it this way, but in theory you would only be copying the data once, instead of twice if you used an external drive. When you use the transfer tool you can also copy over your existing Windows profile and all of your settings, along with your movies and pictures.

#3 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

I would imagine the easiest route would be to create an ad-hoc network connection between the two then you could copy all the stuff from a shared folder on 1 computer into a folder on the other. I've never done this myself, but my understanding is that after you make the network connection you must enable sharing of files in your public user folder, and then setup the other computer to discover such folders.

setup an ad-hoc network:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-vista/set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network

sharing on a network using a public folder:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-vista/sharing-files-with-the-public-folder

Signature.

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Good call, I didn't think of just using a home network. Should be an easy and free solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users