Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Problem - Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimbobbybob

jimbobbybob

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hi! I have a laptop and a desktop. They are connected by a Ethernet Crossover cable. The internet is connected to the laptop through the USB port. (NTL BB from modem)

The laptop can access the desktops shared folder but the desktop cannot access the laptops.
Also, the desktop cannot access the internet but the laptop can.
they are both running Windows XP Pro. Both are turned on aswell.

Can anyone help?

Jimbob :D

By the way, I dont want to buy a router!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

May I just ask why you don't want to buy a router... they are pretty inexpensive these days... and if you move your laptop around why don't you connect the internet to the desktop and use the crossover cable to get the internet to the laptop so if you leave with you laptop the desktop stays connected to the internet?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

Did you New Connection Wizard and select "Connecting to the internet thru anoher computer or router"?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users