Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old data in the form of an Acronis .tib file. Trouble extracting.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PA292

PA292

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

I recently had old data from several old hard drives transferred to my new computer by a computer shop. One of the pieces of data is an Acronis .tib file; I chose to use Acronis as a backup tool a few years ago. When I try to "recover" the .tib, which is presumably their term for "extract," I get the following message: "Cannot recover a disk from a backup stored on the same disk."

However, I discovered that I'm able to browse through the .tib in Windows Explorer. I tried copying and pasting a file from the .tib to a folder on my computer and it worked.

So I suppose there's no severe issue, in that I can copy and paste individual files and folders, but why does the program stop me when I try to extract the whole .tib file?

Edited by PA292, 24 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PA292

PA292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just spoke to Acronis about this, and they basically said that's just the way it is, and Acronis backups are special. Nothing against them, though. Chat is not the place to find out the details of why a program works in a certain way.

So, Acronis backups literally must be extracted from one drive to another drive; but individual files and folders can be extracted with no restrictions.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

No, recover is not extracting. Acronis is a full disk backup application which can also extract individual files.

When you recover a TIB backup, you restore a backup to a disk. So you are overwriting the content of the disk with the content of the backup. But if have your TIB file on the same disk to which you want to restore, then your restore would overwrite the TIB backup, and you would lose your data and content of your disk in the middle of your recover operation. And that's why Acronis refuses to do this. It prevented you from shooting yourself in the foot.

What you did to extract individual files is probably double-clicking the TIB file. This will "mount" the TIB file as a virtual disk, allowing you to access its content.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 PA292

PA292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the clarification. What I wanted to do was mount the file, not recover it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users