Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Filters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

A few months ago I became interested in filters for my desktop case
 I visited the web sites of Silver Stone magnetic case filters, and Star Tech case filters,
 but found that there were no sizes to fit my HP m9340f tower, it has three intake openings.
Not only that, the filters they had were quite expensive, especially when I considered I needed three.
So I decided to try to make my own.
The materials I used were One eight foot strip of Marlite edge molding from my local home store.
One sheet of window A/C filter, about one eighth of an inch thick, it fits into the edge molding groove perfectly.
One roll of Scotch half inch wide double sided tape to hold the strips to the case.

The Marlite molding was white so I spray painted it black to match my case.
I cleaned the molding strips with a quick wipe of brake cleaner and then I painted with "Fusion" plastic spray paint.
Many plastics have a mold release compound on them and must be cleaned so that paint will adhere well.

I used a small miter box to cut the strips, but you can do almost as good with heavy scissors.
Then I touched up the cut ends with a black magic marker.
I temporarily taped the strips in position on the case with plain Scotch tape to locate them, then I removed one at a time, put on the double sided tape and permanently secured them.
Here is a photo of the strips, ready to mount, one has the double sided tape on it.

DSCF8507_zps4e9af9bf.jpg

This is a photo of the strips mounted to the case, there is one more intake on the other side done the same way.

DSCF8509_zpsc43e5121.jpg

I made three cardboard templates so that I could easily cut the filter material to the exact size I needed.
Then I used a thin piece of cardboard to tuck the filter material into place, it was quite easy to fit in, and stays in place nicely.
Here is a picture of one side finished.

DSCF8510_zps948b1677.jpg

The hardest part was mitering the corners and getting the strips positioned for fastening, you only get one chance with that double sided tape,it really sticks.
I was worried about restricting airflow, but that A/C filter material is not restrictive at all, plus the sheet is large enough that I'll have enough for many replacements.
Those templates really make cutting it a breeze, so I saved them.
I just pressed the template down hard and used a really sharp Stanley knife.

This project would be much easier to do if you could lay the case down, mine was still hooked up to all the wiring, so I could not, but it still was not that difficult.

Now all I have to do is remember to keep them clean!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's been about six months since I posted this project, so I thought I would give an update.

The case remains quite clean inside, Fans, Heat sink, etc.

I dusted off the filters onto a black sheet of paper (5"X 6"), and the photo shows the dust, and a few dog hairs the filters trapped.

So far so good!

DSC_3533_zpsca9b0c6b.jpg

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

This topic is one of my favorites. I suggest people do this to their laptops all the time to keep dust from entering.

After I installed my second hard drive 2 years ago, i noticed that my side panel didn't have room to slide back on because of the protruding connectors from the new hard drive. I tried to physically get the HDD in further, but it is hung up somewhere, so i left the side panel off..

Then i just happened to notice an air conditioning filter laying around, and just kind of snugly adhered it as my new side panel. it has been working great, not as pretty and aesthetic as your configuration though.

this guy i know, his HP desktop is alot like yours with the vents for air intake in the side panel, so we opened up his cabinet one day and it was appalling how much work his fans had done to bring dust in through those vents. we cleaned up the heatsink and the fans and went shopping for filter material.  there are rolls of air conditioning filter material that can be cut to size, so we measured and cut to size the material for his vents and adhered them with double sided tape over his vents.  it was definitely the right thing to do, those material cutouts  are keeping dust from entering the cabinet.  they can be taken off and cleaned also, so they are just like new. New material can be cut off the same roll and applied also.

Laptop users can definitely learn something from this air intake filtering experience. everytime i see someone write in about a laptop overheating and spontaneously shutting down, that is one of the  common culprits, dust clogging up the cpu heatsink and blocking airflow.

Thanks for sharing

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 GB2064

GB2064
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

When I cleaned out my case about six months ago it was really dirty.

Thats when I decided to try to make these filters.

Those fans and heat sinks seem to attract dust like a magnet.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:58 AM

oh yes, I saw the image of what your filter material was blocking from entering through your intake vents and accumulating inside your cabinet.  that picture says 1,000 words.  the most interesting part was the pet hair. if that kind of stringy object was to find its way inro  a CPU fan it could mean definite peril...Wait...Definite Peril, that kind of sounds like a good moniker for a video game that challenges the most expensive PC hardware that money can buy..

Anyway, pet hair is notorious for really tangling up floor vacuum cleaner brushes. One can only  imagine what it could do if it gets tangled up into a CPU fan.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 GB2064

GB2064
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

That black hair looks suspicious, yes, it is from the pooch in my avatar, my dog Cookie.

And I have to say that if it did cause problems, I would forgive her completely. LOL! 

That air conditioner filter material seems to work very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users