A few months ago I became interested in filters for my desktop case
I visited the web sites of Silver Stone magnetic case filters, and Star Tech case filters,
but found that there were no sizes to fit my HP m9340f tower, it has three intake openings.
Not only that, the filters they had were quite expensive, especially when I considered I needed three.
So I decided to try to make my own.
The materials I used were One eight foot strip of Marlite edge molding from my local home store.
One sheet of window A/C filter, about one eighth of an inch thick, it fits into the edge molding groove perfectly.
One roll of Scotch half inch wide double sided tape to hold the strips to the case.
The Marlite molding was white so I spray painted it black to match my case.
I cleaned the molding strips with a quick wipe of brake cleaner and then I painted with "Fusion" plastic spray paint.
Many plastics have a mold release compound on them and must be cleaned so that paint will adhere well.
I used a small miter box to cut the strips, but you can do almost as good with heavy scissors.
Then I touched up the cut ends with a black magic marker.
I temporarily taped the strips in position on the case with plain Scotch tape to locate them, then I removed one at a time, put on the double sided tape and permanently secured them.
Here is a photo of the strips, ready to mount, one has the double sided tape on it.
This is a photo of the strips mounted to the case, there is one more intake on the other side done the same way.
I made three cardboard templates so that I could easily cut the filter material to the exact size I needed.
Then I used a thin piece of cardboard to tuck the filter material into place, it was quite easy to fit in, and stays in place nicely.
Here is a picture of one side finished.
The hardest part was mitering the corners and getting the strips positioned for fastening, you only get one chance with that double sided tape,it really sticks.
I was worried about restricting airflow, but that A/C filter material is not restrictive at all, plus the sheet is large enough that I'll have enough for many replacements.
Those templates really make cutting it a breeze, so I saved them.
I just pressed the template down hard and used a really sharp Stanley knife.
This project would be much easier to do if you could lay the case down, mine was still hooked up to all the wiring, so I could not, but it still was not that difficult.
Now all I have to do is remember to keep them clean!