Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurrent Video Driver Corruption?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BamaTex

BamaTex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I developed a problem on two computers on the same network where the monitor would go dark while working on the computer as if the computer had been idle and the power settings turned off the monitor. Opening a window or navigating in Internet Explorer (IE) would trigger the problem, and hitting the space bar on the keyboard would restore the screen. When the problem was present, it would sometimes occur every time I tried to navigate in IE, and sometimes only intermittently. Deleting and re-installing the video drivers on the computers fixed the problem at least temporarily. On the desktop computer the problem recurred a little over a week later, but the problem has not yet recurred on the laptop.  Deleting and re-installing the video driver on the desktop a second time seems to have again stopped the problem for now. Two other laptop computers on the network seem unaffected.

McAfee antivirus has found no problems, rkill found no processes to stop, and Malwarebytes Antimalware found no issues.

Suggestions as to cause and for a permanent cure?

Desktop: HP Pavillion p6620f w/ ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Ver 6.1

Laptop: Lenovo G580 w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated graphics running Windows 8 Ver 6.2

Both with the latest video drivers from the manufacturers.

I hope that this is the appropriate forum.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by BamaTex, 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hi,

Have you looked at any other possibilities? I'm thinking that heat might be involved. Does using a different browser make a difference? Have you checked the sleep mode settings? Intermittant problems are always a PITA!

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 BamaTex

BamaTex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

The desktop is an "always on" machine in a room where the temp is kept cool and constant. Without changing anything else, deleting and reinstalling the video driver fixes the problem- at least for awhile. The laptop that had the problem was much less affected. Opening the laptop cover would sometimes trigger the problem- the screen would come on and then go dark, lighting up again with hitting the spacebar and then going dark a couple of more times in rapid succession before working properly. Does that go along with a heat problem?

I did have fewer problems with Chrome than IE on the desktop, but the monitor would also go dark with clicking on Start=>Control Panel (dark when the control panel box comes up, monitor back on with hitting the spacebar)=>Hardware and Sound (monitor dark again, back on with spacebar)=>Change Power-Saving Settings (monitor dark again, back on with spacebar) etc.

Yes, I have checked the sleep mode settings. Setting "Turn off the display" to "Never" didn't help.

Thanks for the ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users