Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD when playing games or watching video

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Phep

Phep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hello,

I would appreciate some help with a problem I've been having. Here are the symptoms

While playing a video game or watching Youtube videos, my screen will flicker and several very thin multicolored lines will appear. The computer will then shutdown, try to restart itself, shut down again, and finally restart itself again. When restarting the computer normally, when I get to my desktop, I receive the following error:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               116

BCP1:                                                    FFFFFA8009C0E4E0

BCP2:                                                    FFFFF8800FCE1630

BCP3:                                                    FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4:                                                    0000000000000004

OS Version:                                          6_1_7601

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               768_1

Windows will try and offer a solution, but it never comes back with an answer whatsoever. 

Anyways, this all started when I was playing Borderlands 2 and my brother noticed the resolution didn't fill my entire screen so he asked me to increase the resolution to the maximum. It filled out my entire screen and looked great until this whole mess started for the first time. I've since then reproduced it while playing Diablo 3, watching Youtube videos, and once just doing nothing.

I was thinking it was a gpu problem so I cleaned out all the dust from inside my computer with canned air and reapplied thermal paste to both my cpu and gpu.

I downloaded Furmark to check if my video card was overheating and as of this writing, it idles at around 38-41 degrees Celsius (sometimes reaching 47).

Temperatures will reach ~80 when playing Diablo 3 on the highest settings. I tried playing Borderlands 2 with everything on the lowest possible video settings and the system still crashes in the same manner (temps ~60).

I have tried performing a system restore just to try everything that I could think of, but it still won't work. I get an error message that reads:  

"system restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.

Source: %SystemRoot%/registration.  

Destination: ComPlusStaging"

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Edit: Forgot to mention my gpu is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 485M. I updated the driver after the first failure by the way.

And here are some things about my laptop:

Sager NP8170 / Clevo P170HM () 

Operating System ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit 
Primary Hard Drive 500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) 
Ram 8GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS) 
Graphics Video Card nVidia GeForce GTX 485M 2,048MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 
Processor 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM, 2.4-3.5GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)

Edited by Phep, 24 May 2013 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi

Did you try updating the display driver ? . If not uninstall the Nvidia driver and components from "control Panel-->Programs" and install the latest one. Remember to remove Nvidia components like updater, PhysX , Nview etc first. Then remove the Nvidia display driver (it should be the last one) . You can download the latest driver from the below link.

http://www.nvidia.in/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-in

If the issue still remains, remove the graphic card and run the system using on board VGA (if there is one). You can play some high quality videos continuously to test the stability. 

#3 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for the reply Anshad! I will try that out now.

#4 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Just to let you know, I'm not very computer savvy so I might need further instructions to be "dumbed down" a bit. :) Thanks for your patience.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi

You are welcome to ask any doubts  :) . Either me or any other forum volunteer will assist you happily.

#6 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

So I removed all Nvidia programs as you suggested and then downloaded the new driver. After trying to watch some videos, the problem is still here. The screen flickers, turns black for maybe 5 seconds, then shuts down.

My computer tried to automatically restart itself now, but this time I can't even get to the system login screen. My monitor is completely black.

Awaiting further instructions.

Thanks again, Anshad.

Edit: had to force shutdown. Doing a launch repair as I am typing this.

Edit 2: after selecting launch repair, screen remains completely black.

Edited by Phep, 24 May 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi

Sounds like a hardware issue. A software issue is less likely to produce these symptoms. So far the possibilities are -

a ) A faulty graphic card.

Check the system after removing graphic card. 

b ) Bulged caps in the motherbaod.

220px-Al-Elko-bad-caps-Wiki-07-02-17.jpg

C ) Faulty SMPS

Your power supply may be failing under real load.

Swapping with a new SMPS is necessary to test it.

#8 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Physically remove the graphics card? 

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi

Yes. On board video won't work if graphic card is not removed. It is necessary to know if the card is faulty. This step is only needed if your system actually do have an on board VGA port. So make sure that before removing the card. If you are not familiar with computer hardware, follow the below steps.

1 ) Before opening the side cover, touch your hand to the metal case to discharge static electricity.

2 ) Remove the side cover and unplug all cables connected to the graphic card from SMPS.

3 ) Remove the screws that hold the card to the cabinet. Now remove the card carefully.

4 ) Connect VGA cable to the on board display and test the system.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 24 May 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#10 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Ok. I have to step out, but I will try this later today. Just one concern, when I opened up my laptop before, I didn't remember seeing any cables on my gpu. Can i just remove the card and just boot up?

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi

My mistake . I didn't asked you whether it is a PC or Laptop. I mistakenly thought it as a desktop PC. Sorry for the confusion. :oopsign:

Don't proceed to remove the graphic card.. Unlike a desktop, there is no on board video in a laptop to check. Did you cleaned the heat sink fins, when you applied the thermal paste ?. Did you removed the residue of old paste completely before applying new paste ?

Also post the exact make and model number of your laptop. We should proceed after checking the official maintenance guide.

Edit: 

It is midnight in my country, so i may not reply until tomorrow morning.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 24 May 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#12 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Yes i have cleaned the heatsinks of all residue before reapplying thermal paste. I have a Sager np8170

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Hi

Here is the official service manual of your model - http://www.mediafire.com/download/juntnjlq79er83y/ClevoP170HMand3-SagerNP8170ServiceManual.pdf#2

I did some search in internet about your model and it looks like a problem in the motherboard power circuitry.

http://xoticpcforums.com/showthread.php?13585-Sager-NP8170-shuts-down-inexplicably

#14 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi Anshad,

I ran a bunch of scans last night just for the hell of it to make sure I was at least bug free. No malicious items were discovered, but oddly enough I was able to actually stream online videos at 720p. Usually, my computer won't let me do this for more than 10 seconds and last night it was actually able to go uninterrupted til I fell asleep. I made sure to enable the minidump files in case it died again sometime during the night, but I don't think it did. I think my laptop simply went to sleep because when I booted it up, the BSOD error did not show.

I'll test it out some more and hope it's not a fluke. 

I'll take a look at the links you sent me in the meantime.

#15 Phep

Phep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I've been playing Borderlands 2 for about half an hour now without any problems. 

*keeps fingers crossed*

Edited by Phep, 25 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users