Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware on Windows Partition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hfung654

hfung654

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

I have Windows XP installed on a partition of my Mac running OS X, which was created using Bootcamp. The Windows partition is infected with the DOJ Ransomware. I have downloaded Hitman Pro as per instructions to remove the ransomware on a PC, but I am unable to open Hitman Pro since I am opening a partition on my Mac. I've tried hitting F8, F11, F12 as the Windows partition loads, but I can't seem to get to the screen on which I can choose Hitman Pro to open the boot menu with. The Mac doesn't recognize the application since it is a PC application. Anyone with any suggestions on how to eliminate this ransomware, short of having to delete the whole partition? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I have Windows XP installed on a partition of my Mac running OS X, which was created using Bootcamp. The Windows partition is infected with the DOJ Ransomware. I have downloaded Hitman Pro as per instructions to remove the ransomware on a PC, but I am unable to open Hitman Pro since I am opening a partition on my Mac. I've tried hitting F8, F11, F12 as the Windows partition loads, but I can't seem to get to the screen on which I can choose Hitman Pro to open the boot menu with. The Mac doesn't recognize the application since it is a PC application. Anyone with any suggestions on how to eliminate this ransomware, short of having to delete the whole partition? Thanks.

Is Hitman Pro on a bootable optical CD/DVD?

If so, have you tried holding down the "C" key on the Mac right after the "bong" sound when powering it up/rebooting it? I honestly don't know if this will work with a non-Mac bootable disc or not, but that is the normal process for booting from a Mac bootable optical disc.

The other option to try would be holding down the Option key after the "bong". That will give you a list of bootable disks. Again, I don't know if a Windows bootable optical disc will show up there or not.

#3 hfung654

hfung654
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi smax013,
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, they didn't work. I tried "C", Control, and Command and none worked. Alt is what I use to select between the Mac HD and the Windows partition, but unfortunately the thumb drive on which I copied Hitman Pro does not appear. I guess I'll just have to delete the Winows partition. But I appreciate the suggestions!

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hi smax013,
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, they didn't work. I tried "C", Control, and Command and none worked. Alt is what I use to select between the Mac HD and the Windows partition, but unfortunately the thumb drive on which I copied Hitman Pro does not appear. I guess I'll just have to delete the Winows partition. But I appreciate the suggestions!

I kind of suspected it would not work...but was not sure.

I don't have any other suggestions...so you may be down to nukin' the current Bootcamp partition.

I guess that only other thing that I could think to try would be to use Parallel to set up the Bootcamp partition to work with Parallels (I believe this is possible...it has been awhile...I know that can use a Bootcamp partition as your VM for Parallels...just not sure if you have to set that up "ahead of time" somehow) and then you might be able to boot from the Hitman Pro drive (or maybe even ISO) in Parallels. If you don't have Parallels, I believe they still offer a fully function, but time limited trial of it. So, even if you don't have Parallels, you might still be able to try it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users