Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

first motherboard replacement...it went great until i tried to turn it on!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 berbes

berbes

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

there i was, my first motherboard replacement on a inspiron 1764 laptop, rolling through all 2,326 assorted screws,  unplugging and replugging in this job and felt like a pro.  i didn't even have any extra screws at the end!  i hit the power button, and instead of those satisfying beeps from the motherboard on it's way to boot, the power light slowly blinks at me...mockingly.  that's it.  no bad smells, just a blinking power light.

i'm about to redo things from screw #1, but can anyone give me an idea of which step or connection i didn't do correctly?

thanks!

Edited by berbes, 24 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Have you tried to remove the battery. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the battery, and then try to turn it back on? Make sure there is no ac power to the laptop either when you remove the battery.

Could just be some current still left in the laptop.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well...I'm curious.

Doing anything with a laptop...is a tad more complicated than the same maneuver with a desktop.

Did you consult the service manual for said laptop...before beginning your effort?

Louis

#4 berbes

berbes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hello Louis,

took a day to clear the brain, then went through the excercise again (stripping down to the last few screws, checking to see how the fresh thermal conductor looked and rebuilt things) with success!  Had to be one of the ribbons i guess.

i also did find the MB schematic online, which was really nice :).  thanks to that schematic, i was able to determine i was sent the WRONG MB from the dealer, so in the meantime i decided to clean up my 'broken' cpu & graphics chip and reapply thermal conductor, as my initial problem was an overheating graphics chip and/or cpu -- a few BSOD's, slow performance, the fan running 100% of the time, etc. once i put things back together, BOOM.  temps down, fan comes on ocassionally - like it should.  so far, so good.  19 hours and counting... 

i really like working on laptops, it's a definate discipline & technique to be a great mechanic over a good one.   thank GOD for forums like this one.

thanks for the guidance!

berbes

Edited by berbes, 26 May 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users