Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem(s) upgrading from Vista to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gellswor

gellswor

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720, I just upgraded (clean install) from Vista to Windows 7. 

Dell won't give me a drivers list to download for any operating system other than the one this service tag was shipped with.  Anybody know how I can get drivers for the new op system from Dell?

Alternatively, can somebody give me a 'safe' site to get drivers for Windows 7?  Last thing I want to do is muck up a new installation from a 'dirty' site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

You might try this thread.

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from

#3 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have tried to repair the driver within Windows, even uninstalled and reinstalled it.  Windows complains about registry information about the driver and none of the troubleshooting steps seem to help.  Any suggestions?  The optical drive has been working, but this morning when I started the computer, it wasnt.  No complaints from Windows about the hardware, only the driver/registry information.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hi

Which edition of Widows 7 you installed ? (32 or 64)

Which drivers are missing in device manager ? . 

#5 gellswor

gellswor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I have 32 bit version.  I just deleted the 'lower filter' value in the registry for the DVD and it is now working normally.  I seem to remember running across something about filters while I was poking around the other day.  Is this something you can turn on or off?  I am wondering if I mistakenly turned something on that I should not have.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Lacking Dell drivers for Win 7...I would try the corresponding Vista drivers provided by Dell.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users