Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a tournament software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Galvatron84

Galvatron84

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a good and easy to handle tournament software. One that I can use to show the whole results of a k.o. tournament, like create a graphic for 32 or 64 brackets without having to use a text, graphics or table program and do all the graphics stuff myself.

Any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

without having to use a text, graphics or table program

I wouldn't have thought that possible !  At its simplest, my own choice would be for Excel.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

I don't know if creating an "organization chart" in either Word or PowerPoint will do what you want.

#4 Galvatron84

Galvatron84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Well, thanks for your answers, but nevermind - I found a solution. It's bit tricky and lots of work, but I think it will work just fine.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

And the solution Is . . . ?

Don't keep it to yourself - it might be useful to others.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Galvatron84

Galvatron84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Nah, I doubt it's useful to anybody else, because it's alot of work. And there are probably more effective ways to do it.

But here goes anyway: I googled for an empty 64 participants K.O. tournament bracket tableau. It took me a while to find one with a good resolution (almost wallpaper quality). I copied it to my hard drive, opened it with MS Paint (pretty much the only graphics program I got!) and started to slightly modify it step by step - you know: make it even bigger, put a headline title into it, add a pic of the winner and so on.

It's a project for another board that I am a member of. We do a 64 torny with votes every January. We've been doing it for 3 years now. And I always wanted to visualize those with a helpful and complete bracket graphic.

Anyways, I went through all the old threads on that board and started to write the names into the bracket system, starting with the grande finale winner, then adding the semi finals, quarter finals and so on plus all of our voting results until all names and results were complete.

The point is: It was alot of work since I didn't / couldn't just use copy-and-paste, but always had to add a result in numbers behind a name aswell.

Therefore my selfmade png-torny-graphics are not perfect. They are handmade. But they serve the purpose more than fine. And they were actually fun to do. So I will do another one in the very same way next January.

I hope you could follow my little story here.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for letting us know how you finally cracked the problem.

But you're right - it sounds an awfully hard way of doing it !  I will admit that graphics is one of the things I do, and I have a range of graphic tools to do the various jobs which would no doubt make my life simpler were I to create such a sheet, but I would still recommend that next year you take a look at a spreadsheet package. If you don't have MS Office then look at either Libre Office or Open Office for a spreadsheet. It is certainly an easier way of creating the boxes.

But, you got the job done and - in your own words - had fun. What more can you ask for ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users