Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help setting up Simple Machine Forums 2.0.4 on local network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

I've setup a virtual machine with Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop 64bit & installed Lamp. I can place files in the var/www/ directory and have them show up in my host OS's web browser as well as the Guest OS's web browser. I'm trying to install Simple Machine Forums to the VM, however I'm not really sure what to do. So far I've added the downloaded full version of SMF to the www directory in a sub folder "var/www/post/pages/home/", and I've made a database in phpmyadmin "post_smf_1", however I don't know how to configure the database or anything or do whatever is next to get the forum to install. When I go to install.php in my webbrowser I get a white blank page. Can anyone help?

(ps: I will not be using a domain name, just an ip, I'm assuming that's possible?) 

The goal here is to setup a VM webserver that runs an installation of simple machine forums on my local network. So that when I type in xxx.xxx.x.x/post/pages/home/ I will get my forums.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Mr Gibberish, 24 May 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Signature.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

Simple Machines is not too widely used, so I suspect you may have more luck at the Simple Machines forum.

You may need to set php.ini to display errors. Ubuntu server has all of the looging disabled. If they are enabled, you should be getting some sort of an error message. Of if you happen to be using Firefox, yiu can use the Web Developer toolbar to monitor data. It will tell you if you are unable to connect to the server, or potentially any other number of errors.

This is a hard question to answer because it could be anything from a firewall rule to a simple typo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users