Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse, keyboard not working properly, XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I installed Dragon Naturally Speaking v.12 today, and afterwards my right mouse button quit working (no menus, nothing) and my keyboard got weird -- the capslock, CTRL and ALT keys don't work, and the numlock light is always lit whether the number pad is toggled on or off.

I don't know for certain that Dragon is involved here -- I tried stopping the Dragon service, but nothing changed. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Intellimouse and Intellitype drivers, no change.

I've run a complete scan of my system using F-Secure, no new infections, malware, riskware or anything.

Any ideas?

This is my system:

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO Rev X.0X

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2102 06/17/2010

Processor: 3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965

512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

RAM: 3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number SerNum00)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 4096 MB (serial number SerNum01)
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

HDD:  Seagate ST3750528AS 750 gig (partitioned into C:/ and E:/)

Seagate ST3120022A 120 gig (D:/)

Thanks, guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hi

Follow the instruction from the below link to properly uninstall DNS 12. There is a special removal tool available in the link.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6915/~/how-to-completely-uninstall-dragon-naturallyspeaking-12

If the issue still remains even after using the removal tool, restore WIn XP to a date prior to the installation of DNS 12. Read the instructions from the below link -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#3 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:04 AM

Well, uninstalling Dragon is pretty obvious -- the trouble is, I need to have it due to medical reasons. I'm looking for a way to get my mouse and keyboard straightened out without uninstalling Dragon...

I guess I should have made clear that this situation with the mouse and keyboard happened after a couple of reboots -- they were working normally immediately after installing Dragon...

#4 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Update: amazingly enough, it seems to have fixed itself! First I went to the System Restore menu and just poked around, didn't do anything. Then poked around in the registry, just looking at the keyboard key in HKLM (not keyboardS). After I did that, I tried a right click, and there's the menu. Right click on Start, there's Explorer. Caps lock key working, light on keyboard comes on, CTRL working, everything working...

Strange.

Oh yeah, I did try a different keyboard and mouse on the machine last night, same issues. Known good kb/mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users