Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop computer has ozone smell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kd2013

kd2013

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

I'm not extremely computer handy, I goggled the problem and it is likely related to the power supply unit I'm just not sure how  and what to do for a possible diagnosis, the laptop still powers up so i'm hoping it's still salvageable. My laptop computer has an ozone metallic smell and will not hold charge. I think it is an internal power or wiring problem. Last night it just turned off quickly, no blue screen or messages just powered off (in about 1-3 seconds). I turned it on and it rebooted and loaded windows and the computer appears to be in working order, however it is not charging even though it is connect to a charger/ac adapter. I tried multiple adapters with no luck and I turned off the laptop quickly because it smelled like ozone. Any clue as to what might have happened would be helpful. The computer is older it's a gateway W3501 T series,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hi,

That smell indicates something is cooking and it isn't breakfast. Continuing to use the system will cause the damage to get worse until it creates a hardware failure. It's an 'older' computer and it might be time to retire it. The cost of repair might be greater than the value of the system.

I would be sure I have a complete, current backup of everything on it I don't want to lose and then I'd consider an estimate from a reliable repair shop. Before spending much I'd seriously weigh the cast of replacement versus the cost of repair.

The choice is yours and you will have to make it in the very near future.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

On the other side, I'm unfortunately kind of a nerd, so I see every computer as valuable.  Instead of going to a repair shop, use this experience to learn how to fix your computer yourself that way the cost will be lower since the only cost you will have is the part.  firstly, discover how to take your computer apart by finding it's manual online, for if it's stinking like that, then there's probably some visible damage that you will be able to see.  If you discover that you cannot see anything out of the ordinary; no burns, no melted whatever, then probably it's the power supply unit, and if it is, whatever you do, don't open the PSU.  Replace it instead.  If you would like to go this route, let us know as well and someone will get back to you. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 kd2013

kd2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

I told my bother in-law about my laptops problem, he doesn't know much about laptops but is going to try and help me get the info off the computer sometime in the next week or two. Since the computer is still working it will probably be somewhat easy. After we back it up we're probably going to try and poke around inside- he knows a little bit about desktops and took computer courses years ago in school. I guess if we can't figure out what happened to the laptop I'll just have to replace it. He seemed pretty excited about the possibility of building a new one - but I don't know if what we can build is going to work for me and my budget. I don't want to spend more than $400-600, my sister has mentioned in the past that he wanted to build a gaming computer (a side project of 1-2k doesn't fit their budget). I'm a little worried that with my budget the computer may not be all that different than what you can get from a place like bestbuy- I mean when they sell thousands of them the cost of production (and quality) is probably much lower than a home build. My problem is if we building a 1k+ computer it will need to last about 5-8 yrs if it doesn’t I’m screwed- I think I can buy computers from places like bestbuy that are about $500 and they will probably last at least 2-5yrs each. I know if something breaks on a homebuilt computer it's easier to fix (but it will still probably cost $75-200 depending on what part of the system fails). So my options are

A. 1-2k upfront on a pretty high performance build

B. try to build the best system for $400-600

C. bestbuy or newegg etc $400-600 with standard 1yr manufactures warranty (and possibly extended warranties if the rates are reasonable for the length of time)

…I’m a little worried about a build; I need a working computer soon and don’t have weeks or possibly months. I’m unsure of his skill level and how long it will take to put together, I’m confident it will be an excellent computer I’m just unsure of how long and how much the project will ultimately cost.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Personal opinion:

Repair or buy as appropriate. If you want to wait, let him build it and if he stays within your budget and it works, buy it from him.

I think your best option is "C" above.

But that's me and I've spent over 5 years on the bench building systems for a VAR.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users