Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ! What Kind Of Virus Make Computer Hang Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ngda

ngda

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:29 AM

HELP ! What kind of virus make COMPUTER HANG UP
My computer ( Pentium 2 window2000 Pro ) just hung up from time to time . Sometime every 30 minutes or 10 mins or even not finish loading window , sometime it works ok for 3 hours . At the time it hang the screen just become brighter then everything stop . I have to turn off the power then turn on again to reboot . If the keyboard or mouse are not acting ( using ) it is likely to hang , specially at the time window loading and ask for password if I delay enter the password it certernly hang up .
What kind of virus is that ? Norton could not fix or detect it . Neither AVG (free) antivirs . Xsoft and Spybot S-D also used but could not fix the problem . The scan could take from 20 mins to 1 hour and somtime the computer just hang half way even I try to move the mouse around . During the course of fixing this problem ( last 2 week) AVG caught 2 Generic Trojan and put them in the vault but the problem still persist .
Could anyone kindly tell me what to do ? What should I do with the trojan in the vault ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hello ngda

Have you tried doing your scans in safe mode? If not, try that. See How to Boot into "SAFE MODE" tutorial.

Also download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.

You can safely delete items in AVG's vault.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thank for you quickly advice
In safe mode I download and run that MS malicious remover . It found nothing . I found that in safemode I can use the computer 4 hrs until i get tired and turn off . Today in normal mode I can use it for 30 mins then become useless because it hang every 5 mins .
One of my friend just told me now that his computer has hung up one or twice a week . Is this virus popular Will his end up like my computer? His is Pen4 XP pro Norton Symantec SpybotSD all updated . At the time of hang up the screen does not brighten up

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

You may not necessarily have a virus, but perhaps either spyware or your computer is in need of a Spring cleaning. See this BC pinned checklist for slow computers:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

To my worry , another friend told me that his computer had similar symtom that frozen many times and he had to pay for Norton antivirus but could not cure the computer . Eventually he had to reformat and reload windows XP , his comp is P4 3GHz 1GBRAM 80GBHD
Well it is my case as well . I know my comp is too old and have no maket value but I still love it and some tax file are still in it ,. After many times boot in safe mode with internet , I try to download many free software and tool to scan and fix without success ( It mean it found nothing ) . One day I boot in normal mode then the comp hang dead . The next boot is just pass the memory check and BIOS run then nowhere . F8 wont work , the message is “ windows could not start because file C:\ WINNT\SYTEM32\CONFIG…\ NOT FOUND
( I use computer at work now and could not remember the file name )

#6 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:14 AM

Thanks jgweed , I did follow your adv , the problem is they found nothing , in other word they well hide.

#7 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for taking time reading my boring topic . I try to make it more interesting and have a happy endding but life is not allways easy.

The missing or corupted file is C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced so windows could not load start up option.

Well it is time to get the Windows 2000 Professional CD rom disk . after 2 hours play around with all the options and found that I have no emergency rescue disk to repair so
I use Killdisk to clean C:\ drive 3 times ( 4.11GB ) NTFS erase all data
I leave E:\ 5GB NTFS and it partition F:\ 1GB FAT not erase . Some sentimental materials still there

I go to BIOS and change boot sequece to CDROM first , when the CD win2000pro load it see C:\ only have 1.3GB free to load , 2.8GB is occupied by system files or hardware driver . ?? why , I use killdisk 3 times !
I chose option format C:\ knowing the warning that I have to complete the loading before the computer can boot
Then it took me another 2 hours to load (copy files ) then it completed 100% then self restart
The computer boot and the Window 2000 Professional starting up screen appear .

but it seems frozen there . after 30 mins nothing happen , the processing bar does not show any sign of acting I turn of and turn on the machine many times with the same result.
I go to set up and change boot sequence from CDROM,C,A to A,C,.. with same result

Possible the virus or what ever hell it call is still somewhere in E:\ or F:\ . I know the loading wins2000 is not finish because the serial key is not asked yet but like this it will not ask . I must do some stupid somewhere

#8 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hello world again
Now I have real experience how painful virus cause to you (me) . I read a lot and ask people around . Good new is the friend's computer which hang one or twice a week now run well and not hang during last 3 weeks . Another friend advised that the power supply could be to old and no more pump enough energy for the whole system to work stable . I take this idea as process of brain storming . Jgweed did say so above . Why my screen brighten up as the time computer hang . Could it be the video card is at fault , It hang there due to run out of memory ( yes it has it own cpu and 32MB of mem) or what so ever , and then we see nothing else of a frozen screen and do not know what are going on in the system . Oh no , not really . I still see and hear the fan running in all cases .
Well I carefully open the cover ( yes I am still alive to post this ) I measured the voltage : +12.44v ; 5.11 v . It seem OK . The video card fan still running but at the back of the board under the chip is very hot . Is this normal . I dont know .
A nother friend advise that maybe my CD rom disk is faulty ( scratch ) ??? this is un likely . He also offer to give me the disk Win 98 to reload and then upgrade to win2k , this way is easier as his opinion
I will take any possible chance to try . Nothing to loose ( beside of time )

#9 ngda

ngda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:57 AM

tHAT end a busy week
Am I near the happy endding
Not quite ; when I got the disks from my friend . Turn on the machine go to setup change to boot from CD , Insert the win98 starter disk , it run run run and a message that say it found win2000 OS and ask for the disk win2000 . I removed the 98 disk and put in the 2000 disk in , It load quite quick then ask me for the product key. I fill in then every thing go smoothly :trumpet:

Now I can access my old files in drive E:\ and F:\ Every thing is fine .
There is a mixed up :
Old E:\ now becomes D:\
Old F:\ now becomes E:\
And the CD ROM now becomes F:\
Why ???????????? B) :inlove:
I did not change the cable ,I mean swap the IDE cabs
I did not change the disk drive page in BIOS setup

I spend some times muck around without result . OK I am happy with the what I have .It does not matter if you have CD ROM drive designates as F:\ doesn't it . the more important thing you and me should do now is protect what we have after the painful experience .
I connect the internet , download and install ewido , run ... no problem found in c:\D:\ and E:\
install AVG
install Ad-aware-se
I found that the JPG pictures could not be open and paint only work with bitmap . that the graphic on screen was very bad . later i realised that the video card deos not have the driver .More time spend to search for the driver . The card is Winfast Geforce 256 DDR ( it has 32 MB ) download more software then the pictures all fine
I download Yahoo messenger with voice because my sister now crazy because long times no chat with friends . The voice now very good but she could not see what she typing in the dialogue window , it appears in the typing window but after send it disappear

Oh oh later i found that messenger with voice not work with IE5 . Download install IE6 fix that probem
My computer work like a champ until 2 hours ago = 20:00 sat 06may06 :thumbsup: B) :huh: :) :huh: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users