Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible keylogger on computer, but not certain.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nomofoshobro

nomofoshobro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks in advance to those that take the time to read my post.

The problem:

My wife does web design and recently two of her clients have contacted her related to security warnings that they were receiving when they visited their sites. My wife contacted the webhosts and was informed that the sites had been infected and most likely someone had gotten access to the ftp username and password. Since my wife is the only one who was uploading the websites onto the server, I started to suspect a keylogger. I really can't think of any other possiblity unless the host was hacked and has kept quiet about it. One caveat: she recently got the System Care Antivius malware on her computer and I thought I had properly removed it. However, I cannot remember if this was before or after the website problems, so I don't know if there is a connection.

The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with AVG free as the antivius solution. She was uploading to the host with Filezilla.

I would like some advice on scanning my computer not just for keyloggers, but anything else that might be lurking about.

Thanks,

nomo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mohamed37

mohamed37

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi nomofoshobro

it seems your wife has downloaded an infected file of some sort that has activated a harmful virus or keylogger, these are the steps that i do every time i feel my PC is threatened from spyware.

1) Download "Malwarebytes" or buy the full version http://www.malwarebytes.org this tool is perfect for PC's which are infected by Keyloggers, Worms or RATs, once downloaded perform a FULL SCAN. Restart.

2) Go to start type "msconfig" hit enter, choose the startup tab and untick all applications with "unknown" manufacturers. Then restart.

3)Update your AVG and peform a full scan, I suggest you get a paid version. (huge difference)

AVG is compatible with malewarebytes and will not cause any problems, inform your wife that she should scan every file she downloads if no virus scan log is available with the product. The internet is full of bad things she really doesn't want to experience, hope this helps.

Removed reference to illegal activity which could result in additional infections on computer. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 May 2013 - 02:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users