Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.8 - Free Edition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Just thought I'd post a review of this program. If you are looking for a free DVD/CD burning suite then I highly recommend it. 

Pros:

- Supports burning to DVD, CD, Blu-ray

- Free

- Works on XP, Vista, 7, 8

- Can erase your discs, even when some other utilities say it can't be done!

- Has a file backup feature for creating backups that span across multiple discs

- Supports creating audio cds and ripping them

- can create and burn ISO, BIN/CUE, and ASHDISC images

Cons:

- Not the prettiest thing ever

- DVD-VIDEO discs can only be made from pre-made DVD-VIDEO folders

- Limited image file type support

Features I most use:

-Burning Data Discs

-Burning ISO Files

Screen Shot:

w14267549281.jpg

Official Website:

https://www.ashampoo.com/

Download Page For Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.8 - Free Edition:

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/cad/pin/0710/Burning_Software/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-6-FREE

Signature.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

It's what I use.

As with much free software, I advise people to uncheck any options to install components they may not want, such as toolbars, and opt out of email promotions unless they want regular offers of other software to buy.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for the link and the review.

Spent a fair amount of time last night looking for a way to copy a DVD that I own.

I tried DVD Shrink  (didn't work) as well as DVD Decrypter (didn't work either) and then tried the 30 day version of DVDFab 9 which was literally a 1 button click to rip and copy my movie. Test drove it and everything was there - menus, special features, deleted scenes, etc.

Will the Ashampoo Studio do that as well?

Please note that I am not looking for a tool to violate copyright laws or a work around to break copyright protection (or anything of the sort) just looking for a way to back up my every increasing DVD / Blu-ray collection.

Ideally, I'd love to find a *free* way to do this, but I also don't mind paying for an app that works and is well supported.

Currently a DVDFab bundle pack is running about $90. This bundle pack copies and rips both DVDs and Blu-ray discs. Pricey sure, but at least I know it works and is supported and isn't some malware infested warez ****.

Anyone have experience using the full / paid version of DVDFab and/or using the Ashampoo Burning Studio to rip and copy DVDs and/or Blu-ray discs?

Thanks,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Ashampoo Burning Studio can create image backup files of dvds cds or blu-rays that don't use any kind of protections but it's a suite orientated at general disc burning.

If you are talking about backing up retail movies they generally employ some kind of protection (Especially Blu-rays!), in which case I recommend DVD Smith, however it only works on DVDs, hence the name, and it doesn't save the data to an image file, it merely saves it to a folder on your hard drive, though you can recreate the dvd by burning that folders contents to a blank DVD with some other software suite, it's been a while since I used DVDsmith myself so I'm not sure if it's changed since then. However I used version 1.0.4 to backup some seasons of LOST when I was taking a summer trip a few years ago and it worked great (since it's not a good idea to take the originals with you in case your car gets broken into), I have used it for some movies from time to time as well. It's free too :), I've never used DVDFab9, but from your description it sounds much better!

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users