Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would sharing an ISP account affect connectivity?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

If some hypothetical Comcast customer allowed her upstairs neighbor to use her wireless network, might she experience problems with speed and even get kicked off sometimes?  There would be 3 or 4 computers using the account, total.  I've read that the number of computers in a neighborhood affects download speed, but am not sure about adding a computer to a single account.

Would it matter if this neighbor habitually kept 15 tabs open?  What about when her computer was sleeping (it's an Apple)?  We're trying to keep track of when problems occur, but it'd be good to know whether or not it could be causing a problem.

I've run multiple different scans, many times, so I don't think it's malware.  This computer does sometimes slow to a crawl doing anything at all.  The computer right next to the router never experiences problems, but it is newer and a desktop.  This one is a few rooms away; it's an old laptop.

Thanks in advance!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sharing an account doesn't matter in terms of connectivity. As far as the ISP is concerned they just think that they are your devices, not anyone elses. As far as the connectivity issue goes, many factors could play part as to why the connectivity isn't as good as it is on the desktop. It could be a hardware issue, network issue where the connection isn't strong enough to support multiple users. The router may not be strong enough to distribute the signal to her computer. Interference could be blocking signals, or having overlapping channels set up could be causing the issue as well.

There's so many different factors to consider, and the only true way to see, is to go one by one and see where the problem starts and ends.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

[snip]... network issue where the connection isn't strong enough to support multiple users. The router may not be strong enough to distribute the signal to her computer. Interference could be blocking signals, or having overlapping channels set up could be causing the issue as well.

Thanks for the reply, chrisd87!  What do you mean by the connection not being strong enough to support multiple users?  Wouldn't that mean that having her computer on our network IS affecting connectivity? 

And what do you mean by overlapping channels?  Does that have to do with IRCs?

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Connection as in the package that you are paying for does not have enough bandwidth. For example you may pay for 30mb/sec down and 10mb/sec up and etc.. Also channels that carry the airwaves from your router to the wireless client. Depending on what frequency your operating on rather its 2.4ghz or 5ghz, depends on what channels you're using. Typically you will be running 2.4ghz, and there are 3 non-overlapping channels on that frequency which are 1,6,11.

If it was me I wouldn't allow anyone to use my internet connection but maybe family. Reason being is that if anything happens illegally on that network, your held reliable as the ip address/ account is under your name, and there's no proof that she was the one that did it besides word against word.

Edited by chrisd87, 23 May 2013 - 09:26 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

(drat, I forgot that I hadn't replied and then the notification email got "lost in the shuffle."  Sorry for the delay in replying!)

Thanks for your input, again.  I don't really know what's going on; the last few times I had trouble, she wasn't on.  And she wasn't having any trouble until just recently, so it didn't seem like it was a matter of too many computers (except that she was usually closer "geographically" closer to the router, just upstairs a few levels.)  Actually, I get the feeling they can tell whose computer is on which network to a certain extent, b/c they won't give you a quote unless you specify which apt within the building.  But I thought that vertical space wouldn't matter, ie. it would look like the same thing, since she's at the same latitude/longitude, just two floors up.

(and from our relationship, I'm pretty sure she'd take responsibility for anything illegal going on.  although "family only" sounds like a good policy in general.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users