Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 PC Infected by Avast!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Juictice

Juictice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

I recently had been receiving prompts to update my avast software because it was running out. Today it popped up during some netflix viewing. So in frustration I let it update. Shortly after the bar reached 100% I got a BSOD. Since then I have not been able to boot my PC and the repair tool does not help me either, nor does System Restore. So searching through the logs I found this as the "root", D:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\aswNDis.sys

Stupidly of me I have lost my OS Disc so I seem to be out of luck.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

You "could" run TWICE the removal utility for Avast from Windows Safe Mode.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility -

aswndis Company's name should be corrected from the old Alwil to the current "Avast".

Quotes are taken from avast! forum

Thank You -

EDIT -

Just run the Uninstall as listed, and then reinstall if you wish to still use avast Antivirus -

Edited by noknojon, 23 May 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#3 Britleyjosh

Britleyjosh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

The better idea is to switch over to some other good security software's like Comodo, kaspersky, AVG etc.. In a recent article i have read about the AV test conducted on various security softwares based on the security factors like Protection, performance and usability. Among them Comodo, the leading security provider  ranks top in protection. You can give a try with Comodo Security Products. Here is the link of AV test : http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-xp/marapr-2013

#4 im abcd

im abcd

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

Just like Noknojon posted, it isn't an infection but rather a system failure caused by a faulty installation of Avast! Uninstall it, and if possible move to a better AV like Eset if you are willing to pay or Comodo antivirus is a good free one.  

3dsig_zpsd150d538.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users