Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft zip-file empty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Den.

Den.

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

After reading suggestions for curing the FBI virus I attempted to download the Emsisoft Emergency Kit using the link in the forum article "Automated Removal Instructions for Urausy Trojan using the Emsisoft Emergency Kit". The kit downloaded as a zip-file. After extracting the files I find that the extracted folder contains only one object, a folder named Run. And that folder is empty. I gave up after downloading it again five more times with the same results. What do you suppose I did wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hello, are you downloading from a different computer as the malware screw things up,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-urausy-fbi-ransomware

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Den.

Den.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

My computer is not infected with the FBI malware. I want to download the tools so I will be prepared for a future infection.

#4 unixguy

unixguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

I've a complaint about Emsisoft Emergency Kit recommended in the tutorial:
"Remove the Urausy FBI Ransomware Infection (Uninstall Guide)"

On 2/14/2014 I was googling for software tools for cleaning infections and the recommendation for Emsisoft caught my eye. It looked like something I wanted to add to my toolkit so I downloaded it from the link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/ And installed it to my computer selecting E:\eek  which is my external USB 3.0 hard drive.  After the installation I ran a scan (included PUP) and quarantined the items found (nothing serious, all identified as adware). 

My complaint is that after the installation and scan, my folder settings were changed so that "my Computer" came up with items listed in groups instead of the "details" setting in effect before the installation of EEK. I then changed the view back to "details" and resized the columns but closing and re-opening "my Computer" and the display is back in "groups."  Using Windows System restore from a checkpoint created  two days before I installed EEK failed with an error message (not recorded) and did not fix the problem.  Trying to use the tools -> folder options (reset all folders) did not work and just made things worse (my computer is not working as it was before EEK).  A second system restore to one week before EEK seemed to fix the problem but then Firefox would not run (just gave an audible beep). 

In desperation, I restored the C: partition from a full system backup (Terabyte Image for Windows) created 2/5/2014. After the restore, I extracted new (updated) files that were created on the machine after the 2/5/2014 backup from a full system backup created 2/15/2014 after the Installation of EEK (e-mail, log files, documents, etc.). 

My question: Has anyone else experienced this problem after installing EEK? 

My system is Windows XP Home SP3. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

@ unixguy

If you need assistance, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members at the same time in the same thread. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 unixguy

unixguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I've solved my problem by restoring the C: partition from a backup predating the problem with EEK. I was looking for the appropriate place to post my experience and ask if anyone else has experienced the same result installing EEK on a clean computer. So I used the search function for the forum and found the OP's topic.

My apologies for the etiquette infraction and thank you for your recommendations.

If you can, please move my post to an appropriate topic (maybe "problem reports/questions on using our recommended tools"?) .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users