Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn on Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 B-lockdown080

B-lockdown080

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

In the process of removing some Malware I discovered that my firewall was down. Trying to turn it on only gives me an error code. Any help would be appriciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Hi B-lockdown080,

Your opening post is rather vague.

Could you provide some more information about the error message you are getting when you are trying to re-enable the firewall?

Could you also provide us with which operating system you are using?

I am assuming it is the default Windows Firewall you are trying to re-enable.

The more information you provide, the better.

Thank you

#3 B-lockdown080

B-lockdown080
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sorry about that. The code I keep getting is 0x80070424 and I am running on Windows 7. And yes it is the basic Windows Firewall I am trying to get working again.

#4 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

No worries at all.

I've come across an article that may help.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/12/27/error-code-0x80070424-with-windows-firewall-and-quot-base-filtering-engine-service-quot-not-available-in-services-database-list.aspx

Do the symptoms in this article match up with the issues you are experiencing?

Are you comfortable working with the registry?
If you've never done changes to the registry before, please post back before following the steps in that article. This is so I can advise you how to perform a registry backup in the event anything goes wrong.

I'd explain now but I am updating this post from my phone which has a rather tiny screen.

Thank you

#5 B-lockdown080

B-lockdown080
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

It seems similiar althought I don't get any message involving the Base Filtering Engine Service. I've never done any work with the registry so I'd like to know how to make a backup before I get started.

#6 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Okay, well we'll give that a go anyway.

To be on the safe side we are going to create a backup in forms.

Please create a system restore point:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/create-a-restore-point

Then we'll create a backup of the registry settings we are about to change manually:

1. Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., typing regedit into the Search box, and then pressing ENTER. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Using the expand arrows to the left of the names, expand HKEY_Local_Machine, expand SYSTEM, expand CurrentControlSet.

3. Right-Click on the Services and then click Export.

4. In the Save in box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name box.

5. Click Save.

6. Exit Registry Editor using the X in the top right corner.

Please keep the saved reg file somewhere easily found, for example your desktop, in case of any problems.

Once you've created a backup, please follow the steps in first link I posted.

Let me know if you have any problems with following these instructions and how you get on.

You may experience a delay until my next reply.  In the UK it is 1:30AM and I have to be up for work at 7:00AM.  I will be sleeping but if you leave me a message on here I will respond when I get to my computer tomorrow (approximately 8:15AM).

Good night for now.

#7 B-lockdown080

B-lockdown080
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hmm I think I still have a Rootkit so I am going to remove that before I try anything else

#8 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

That's fine.

I would recommend that you drop a post in at the bleeping computers malware removal forums. They will make sure that you get the best advice.

If you are still getting a problem with the firewall after getting the rootkit removed, let me know and we can see what we can do.

#9 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

I am sorry, I uploaded the previous post on my phone and it appears to have posted the same post three times.

Edit: Removing duplicate post.

Edited by masher92, 23 May 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#10 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

I am sorry, I uploaded the previous post on my phone and it appears to have posted the same post three times.

Edit: Removing second duplicate post.

Edited by masher92, 23 May 2013 - 02:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users