Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanscam outdoor camera questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TomBradford

TomBradford

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hi.

You'll see from my introduction that I'm the acting unpaid technical manager for a small non-profit community wireless trust.

I bought a Wanscam outdoor camera (PTZ, 3 x zoom) in order to keep an eye on wind-turbine at one of our remote mountain-top sites, and wonder if anyone can help with the following info.

1.  Wanscam support told me that the camera is Power over Ethernet capable but I can't get any response from it using PoE and there's nothing about PoE in the manual or specs as I would have expected.  Did support lie to me or is my model broken?

2.  So far I've only had the unit on my test-bench before deployment and have been using the 12v mains adapter.  On site it's going to be taking power from the solar/battery bank which means it could be getting anything from 11.5v to 14.4v depending on the weather conditions and what the solar controller is putting into the batteries.  Does anyone have any experience with this unit in similar circumstances.

3.  It has that wretched PoE socket welded to the end of the cable meaning I'd have to make a completely unnecessary, hard-to-fill 25mm hole in whatever I mount it on.  I'd like to cut it off and add an RJ45 plug so it could connect directly to the Router but from what I've seen at the other end of the cable I wonder if Wanscam use standard ethernet wiring for the date-lines.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users