Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues Permanently Deleting Registry Keys

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hello. I've been attempting to clean up my notification area on my Windows Vista 32 bit computer by removing all non-system icons. I don't just want the unwanted icons to be hidden, and would like them to be removed from the notification area entirely. I have used this tutorial and have been successful removing the unwanted icons, but whenever I reboot my computer, it reverts to how it once was. The issue appears to be that two registry keys that I delete, being IconStreams and PastIconStreams, keep reappearing after I reboot and restore all of the unwanted icons. I'm not sure what is causing them to constantly reappear, and I couldn't find any tutorials that addressed how to keep them from reappearing, so any help in permanently removing these keys would be much appreciated!

Edited by MuddyMaestro, 22 May 2013 - 11:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Right click on the icon you want to delete, click on delete.  You will be asked if you are sure you want to send this to the recycle bin, click yest, and then empty it from the recycle bin.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Right click on the icon you want to delete, click on delete.  You will be asked if you are sure you want to send this to the recycle bin, click yest, and then empty it from the recycle bin.

I have already attempted this, as explained in the provided tutorial. Regardless, it does not prevent the registry keys from reappearing upon rebooting my computer.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

When you delete the icons are you emptying the recycle bin before restarting?

Why are you trying to delete keys from the registry?  I had understood that you were only attempting to remove the icons on your desktop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

When you delete the icons are you emptying the recycle bin before restarting?

Why are you trying to delete keys from the registry?  I had understood that you were only attempting to remove the icons on your desktop.

I am not trying to remove shortcuts from my desktop, but rather, I am trying to remove icons from the notification area in the bottom right of the screen. When I delete the keys from within the Registry Editor, the confirmation message asks me if I wish to permanently delete them; therefore, emptying my recycle bin shouldn't be necessary in the first place since they are not sent there.

Edited by MuddyMaestro, 26 May 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#6 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Edited by MuddyMaestro, 26 May 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Have you tried this? Right-click Taskbar and choose Properties. Click Customize... for Notification area.  Choose the icons you need to remove by hiding them, Ok.

Tekken

#8 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

Have you tried this? Right-click Taskbar and choose Properties. Click Customize... for Notification area.  Choose the icons you need to remove by hiding them, Ok.

As I stated in my original post, I do not simply want the icons to be hidden, but removed from the notification area completely. In other words, I do not want there to be an arrow a person can click to reveal these unwanted icons. I can achieve this through the tutorial linked in my original post, but can't retain it after rebooting due to the reappearing registry keys.

Edited by MuddyMaestro, 29 May 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#9 Social Jeevi

Social Jeevi

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

I believe you can solve this issue by removing the items from the startup. Please use the "Msconfig" option to do that and do not use the registry. Removing it from the registry can make the application to stop functioning.

Regards

Social Jeevi

Follow me on twitter: @socialjeevi

#10 MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I believe you can solve this issue by removing the items from the startup. Please use the "Msconfig" option to do that and do not use the registry. Removing it from the registry can make the application to stop functioning.

To my knowledge, disabling programs from startup will prevent them from running at all, which I do not want since there are programs, such as antivirus and update checks, that I do not wish to fully disable. Rather, I only wish for their notification area icons to be removed.

I hate to sound snarky, but I can already successfully remove these unwanted icons through the method in the tutorial linked in the original post, and only wish to be advised regarding how I can maintain this after rebooting. To anyone who replies to this topic following this post, please, respond according to what I'm asking.

#11 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I regret to inform you that it is not possible to remove the icons from the notification area.

This is from the simply fact that once you run the program, the icon will re-appear. You can delete the registry key but once the program runs it will fix itself to appear in the notification area.

The point of having a notification area is to advise you of the running programs and provide an easy access to those programs. Hidding the icons is the only method you can take to "remove" these icons from the notification area.

#12 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Write a batch file to delete the registry keys and stick it in your startup folder? Unsupported scenarios can only be fixed with hackish solutions...

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users