Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending my boot partition

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 murru

murru

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Hello,

I have recently purchased a second-hand HP mini laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed on it. The internal hard drive has been split into two partitions; partition C (24.32 GB) containing all the Windows files, and partition D (200.66 GB) containing software and other files. Unfortunately, partition C is not big enough to run Windows smoothly, which often leads to the laptop being very slow. I am trying to extend this partition with about 8 GB in order to give Windows more room.

I do not know what the best approach for this problem is. I believe that partition D might also have some Windows files, in which case I am unable to move this partition. I have tried to Shrink partition D, but I am unable to move the unallocated space to partition C.

I have added an image of Gparted below.

gparted.jpg

How can I add the unallocated space to partition C without damaging Windows? (I do not possess the Windows installation DVD)

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Murru

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Hi Murru,

Try Partition Magic Software. It will able add the space to your Windows partition.

Edited by Chris Charles007, 23 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#3 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi Murru,

Try Partition Magic Software. It will able add the space to your Windows partition.

Dear Charles007,

Unfortunately Partition Magic does not run on Windows 7 so I cannot install it.

Murru

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

One alternative, EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Louis

#5 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Thank you Louis, I have EASEUS Partition Master installed. I looked for tutorials online, but I have not found anywhere how I can add the unallocated space to partition C without moving partition D. Can someone please help me?

Murru

#6 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

A partition is a division of a drive more or less. If you don't move the d parition over there is no way to make the other 2 paritions 1. If you feel it's unsafe to move the D parition over for some reason, there are some work arounds you could consider. Such as converting your drive to a dynamic disk (make sure you understand the consequences before doing such) and using windows built in raid-like features to utilize the newly formed F parition as part of the C parition, however it will still physically be a seperate parition. Or you can mount the F partition as an NTFS folder on C. 

What exaclty is on this parition that makes you wary of moving it over?

You could always make a sector based backup of your entire drive, then try the move and if it doesn't work simply restore from your backup?

Dynamic disk info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363785(v=vs.85).aspx

Signature.

#7 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Dear Mr. Gibberish,

Thank you for confirming this; indeed I thought it would be impossible to merge the C partition with the unallocated space without moving partition D.

The reason why I am reluctant to move partition D is threefold:

1) There are 3 folders in the D partition with the names: 477ac88cabb4e207222d74af85a68c4c, 7907b3eebb3ddf760837, and dece2050ae7959fb834e1d805cfc72. I am not allowed to access these folders, and whenever I try to move them I get the following message:

Untitled.jpg

2) Partition D contains the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders containing all the installed software on the machine.

3) When I try to move Partition D into the unallocated space using Gparted I get a message stating that Windows might fail to boot if I continue my operation.

I hope you can help me decide if I should still try to do it anyway..

Thanks,

Murru

#8 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

1) There are 3 folders in the D partition with the names: 477ac88cabb4e207222d74af85a68c4c, 7907b3eebb3ddf760837, and dece2050ae7959fb834e1d805cfc72. I am not allowed to access these folders

2) Partition D contains the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders containing all the installed software on the machine.

3) When I try to move Partition D into the unallocated space using Gparted I get a message stating that Windows might fail to boot if I continue my operation.

Answer 1 = I'm thinking those are temporary extraction folders used during the installation of service pack downloads for windows and other microsoft add-on softwares, it's common for systems that have a C drive that is too small for extaction to occur on...however it's odd that they are protected. Do you have any Service Packs Installed? What about .net Framework installs?

Answer 2 = What folders are on your C drive? Either way, programs in programs folders only know the letter of a parition so that's not an issue. What other OS related folders are on D?

Answer 4 = Gparted gives this warning because it knows windows in on the drive, however non-boot non-osfolder non-recovery non-msr non-efi related paritions are normally safe to move unless it conflicts with one of the previously mentioned.

I'm assuming you are running Gparted from a linux liveCD of some kind? Have you looked in the "477ac88cabb4e207222d74af85a68c4c, 7907b3eebb3ddf760837, and dece2050ae7959fb834e1d805cfc72" using that OS. Normally service pack extraction folders aren't protected. 

Signature.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hi

I suggest keeping the D drive. A drive for OS and ​drive for data storage is always good. If you allocate entire space to  C, in the event of a file system corruption or a Windows reinstall, you may loose all the data. I suggest a 70 GB C drive and the remaining space for data storage.

Do the following steps.

1 ) Open Eseus and right click on the D drive. Now select resize and use the slider to cut 50 GB from left side. Now there will be a 50 GB free spcae between C and D.

2 ) Right click on C and select resize. Use the slider to extend and add 50 GB free space from the right side.

3 ) Now click on the "Apply" button and the system will ask permission to restart. Allow it to do so and on next restart it will commit the changes. 

To make things clear here is a nice video.

It is better to do it with a boot CD. You can use "Gparted" but i suggest "partition Wizard" bootable CD.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

#10 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

Answer 1 = I'm thinking those are temporary extraction folders used during the installation of service pack downloads for windows and other microsoft add-on softwares, it's common for systems that have a C drive that is too small for extaction to occur on...however it's odd that they are protected. Do you have any Service Packs Installed? What about .net Framework installs?

Answer 2 = What folders are on your C drive? Either way, programs in programs folders only know the letter of a parition so that's not an issue. What other OS related folders are on D?

Answer 4 = Gparted gives this warning because it knows windows in on the drive, however non-boot non-osfolder non-recovery non-msr non-efi related paritions are normally safe to move unless it conflicts with one of the previously mentioned.

I'm assuming you are running Gparted from a linux liveCD of some kind? Have you looked in the "477ac88cabb4e207222d74af85a68c4c, 7907b3eebb3ddf760837, and dece2050ae7959fb834e1d805cfc72" using that OS. Normally service pack extraction folders aren't protected. 

Dear Mr. Gibberish,

1) I do have SP’s and Frameworks installed:

• Microsoft Office 2007 SP3
  • Microsoft.NET framework 4 Client Profile

2) The folders on my C partition are:

• Intel
  • Perflogs
  • Program Files
  • Program Files (x86)
  • Users
  • Windows

There are no other OS related folders on the D partition besides the three that I have previously mentioned.

3) I’m running Gparted from a USB flash drive (since the mini-laptop does not contain a DVD-rom). I have not looked at this, as I am very unfamiliar with Gparted and Linux in general, so I have a hard time trying to figure it out.

1 ) Open Eseus and right click on the D drive. Now select resize and use the slider to cut 50 GB from left side. Now there will be a 50 GB free spcae between C and D.

2 ) Right click on C and select resize. Use the slider to extend and add 50 GB free space from the right side.

3 ) Now click on the "Apply" button and the system will ask permission to restart. Allow it to do so and on next restart it will commit the changes. 

Anshad, thank you for your instructions. I will complete this action as soon as I know that it is safe for me to move the D partition.

Murru

Edited by murru, 23 May 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#11 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

All sounds good then.

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users