Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Please tell me would you recommend installing

Microsoft Security Essentials ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Please tell me would you recommend installing

Microsoft Security Essentials ?

Hi,

Only if I had no other security program installed that was running an active scanner.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hello -

I have been using M.S.E. sonce it was released, BUT ........ do you have any othe Antivirus currently installed ??

The program usually runs a scan and updates itself most days, and is always active in the background.

A personal choice, as with all Antivirus programs -

Thank You -

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I too would recommend MSE if you' re looking for a free alternative. However, I also recommend avast so as my friend noknojon indicates...choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal choice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Ok Thanks for your replies I am sure this will be helpful, . .

I'd also like to know concerning recommendation to only have one anti virus scanner installed, and to un install any others etc.

for detection of virus and malware, can any other programs be disabled rather that un-installed for that purpose ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

You can have as many on-demand scanners as you like. However only one active anti-virus and one active anti-malware application at a time.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have been using MSE as my stand-alone for quite some time. To supplement I utilize MBAM and SAS on demand as needed plus SpywareBlaster. These are the applications that work for me. As you will find there are no programs that catch everything and by adding layers will aid in the prevention.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'd also like to know concerning recommendation to only have one anti virus scanner installed, and to un install any others etc.

for detection of virus and malware, can any other programs be disabled rather that un-installed for that purpose ?

There is one problem that you forget about (I know you are on Dial-up) -

If you install any other program (even MBAM) you must Update it online prior to using it, or this defeats its purpose.

Even AdwCleaner must be uninstalled and reinstalled as there is no way to update the program

Any Antimalware / Antivirus program that is not Updated, has an old data base and is therefore useless ! ! !

MSE updates daily, and offers an option to update more often (manually). Also programs like MBAM updates about 10 times on any average day - Yes, you heard right 10 times per day (on average). About 7 times is minimum, and 15 is usually maximum.

So the installing of a second program is useless, as it needs constant Updating, Plus the database may cause conflicts with other installed Antivirus or similar programs -

Thank You -

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Much appreciated, . .

Some time in June I will install a modem or connection for a nearby router I hope, I have not checked this antique for requirements, but I will, anyway that and a stick of RAM , should boost my moral, . .  my other PC is down with a cold, it got a disc read error, so I'll have another try at using a Boot disc as soon as I can get my hands on a new floppy, after that I'll try a local technician to try to open it.

I noticed over the years that a virus detection that occurs with a technical person from BC most of times ask for the use of MBAM,

and through my experience have always noticed its a pretty good cleaner, . . .

I have AVG free on and working, MBAM is also running, however I need to check, as follows;

The MBAM program I have installed at this time, (v 21013.05.22.03),  (I thought was a free version), now has zero days remaining, however I guess the free version remains after expiration as I believe I can still scan with it, Right clicking this from the notification area, provides a means to update it etc. Previous versions use to tell you how many days it was out dated when you opened the program.

So I am assuming by, "on demand", we mean, "installed" ? I hope that is correct because I am reading to un-install, no need to reply to that if I am correct, . . 

So MBAM is a Malware Program

AVG is a Anti-Virus Program

MSE, . is  Both ?

Much Thanks

sikntired, noknojon, quietman7, Animal dicke

Edited by Jove, 24 May 2013 - 04:49 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

The current version of MBAM is v1.75.0.1300.

v21013.05.22.03 pertains to the database <- year, month, day, number of the database released on that particular day

A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. Users who have previously completed the trial will not be prompted to start the trial upon upgrade or reinstallation.[/i]

On demand means you start the program and initiate a scan because it does not run in real-time.

Yes MBAM is an anti-malware program.
AVG is an anti-virus program.

MSE is a free anti-malware solution that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials software provides real-time antivirus and other protection for home PCs while helping to guard against spyware and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials Overview
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users