Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I diagnose a problem with my hard drive?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Phxpcman

Phxpcman

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Recently I had a tech install a new hard drive. Since then, at times my PC runs V E R Y S L O W L Y...other times it is just fine.

I think it is either my hard drive, or perhaps the Bitdefender security suite he installed.

He left me hanging and won't even answer my calls.

How can I find out for sure what the problem is?

I have a Dell Inspirion 530, about 5 years old. It's a great machine...

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hi Phxpcman,

I suggest you to run the Dell PC Diagnostics that will analyze your entire system to identify issues involving hardware components, software and overall performance. You can run the diagnostics online by visiting the following link:
http://www.dell.com/support/diagnostics/us/en/19?&~ck=anavml&dgc=IR&cid=254348&lid=4636430

Please let me know the test results.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

If you suspect the culprit could be Bit Defender uninstall it and find out. If it is you can install a different program. If not, you can either reinstall Bit Defender or choose a different one. The choice is yours.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to security. It could be a simple case of Bit Defender not playing nice with your computer.

Since you say that sometimes it's slow and other times it is fine it may not be Bit Defender. A security program that is the cause will usually make it run slow all the time.

#4 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

RajathAtDell,

Thank you, but the Dell PC Diagnostic tool did not work. It keeps telling me it has detected a problem, and to try again...

I tried running a full diagnostic scan, and also an isolated hard drive scan. But neither one worked.   :(

Wait...I just tried it again, and it did work. I ran a diagnostic on the hard drive, and it passed all tests. Then the Dell site gave me ideas on how to check for possible software problems.

I have to get ready for a meeting now, so I'll have to continue my computer work tomorrow. But thank you so much for your help, and may God bless you for it.

Edited by Phxpcman, 22 May 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#5 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

Queen-Evie,

Thank you for your reply. The Bitdefender program was installed for me by the guy who replaced the hard drive, and I have no way to re-install it if I delete it. I could, however, revert back to McAfee, which comes with my Cox internet service as a free service. But from what you say I doubt that is the problem...which is good, because I rather like the Bitdefender.

#6 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

Hi Phxpcman,

Thank you for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to run the built-in hardware diagnostics by following the steps provided below:

1. Restart the system and start tapping the F12 key at the Dell logo.
2. Select Diagnostics and press Enter.
3. This will start the Diagnostics.

Please let me know the test results.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#7 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

Thank you, RajathAtDell.

I tried those steps, but pressing the F12 key brought me to a menu that listed my different drives; there was not a diagnostic option. Only the hard drive, C drive, dvd drive, etc...

But, I was able to do a full diagnostic with the Dell PC Diagnostic tool that you first suggested. I don't know why it didn't work at first...but after several tries, it did.

Everything came out ok but for a couple of items on my dvd drive (the tray doesn't open at times unless I open it manually).

That still doesn't explain why, at times, my PC freezes up and takes up to a minute to come back...but then at other times it is just fine...  :(

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi

Which is the OS installed in your system ? . How much is the amount of RAM ?. Also it will help us if you post a Speccy snapshot which gathers necessary information about your PC. Read the instructions in the below link  and post the we blink displayed by Speccy in next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

McAfee is known to be a resource hog. I suggest uninstalling it. You can install "Microsoft Security  Essentials" which is free for legitimate Windows users.

#9 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hello, Anshad Edavana.

Thank you for responding, and for the info. I like that site, "Speccy"...

Here are the specs from my PC:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CxRT62BMX6QtFsBHxUWFmVZ

However, I am not sure if I am replying to you correctly. I do not see any "add reply" button on the forum to use. I am simply opening another dialogue widow. Please tell me if this alerts you via email that I have responded to you; or advise me if I am doing this incorrectly.

Also, I am running Bitdefender currently.

If I remove it, I will not be able to re install it because it was installed for me by a tech with a thumb drive, and it is his subscription. The same applies with my Win7 OS. I do not have the disc for it, and it was installed for me by someone else. So I may not be able to run MSE.

Thank you again so much.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

RajathAtDell and Anshad Edavana,

Phxpcman has another topic about the same computer here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/495493/backing-up-win-7/

Please read the entire topic carefully. Is there anything in that topic which would have any bearing on what is being discussed in this one?

In that topic he states

A tech who worked on my PC installed it for me after he replaced my hard drive. He also installed Bitdefender and Microsoft Office 2010.

Before that, I was running Vista

We are trying to determine if the install of Windows 7 is a legal genuine install.

#11 Phxpcman

Phxpcman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Queen-Evie,

Thank you for the link you sent me to verify windows7. It is indeed a genuine & legal install, and I can get the free MSE security program if I want it. But right now I am happy with Bitdefender, so long as I don't find out it is causing my PC to slow down... 

In the other topic, I was only inquiring as to how I could back up the Win7 I have in case I needed to reinstall it in the event of a crash or virus. I have no disc for it, and I'm not sure if I could make a partition for it, or even how to do that.

Edited by Phxpcman, 23 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

I posted the link to your other topic just in case. You did include some information in it that was not posted here.

Backing up related questions can be answered in the other one.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Since these two topics now seem intertwined to deal with the same issues....I am closing this topic and request that you pursue the topic which is ostensibly related to backing up/not knowing your key/freezing, etc..

If you have any questions, please contact me via PM :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users