Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe is consuming 99% of CPU

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 guyl

guyl

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I have an HP a1330n running XP with Service Psck 3 AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2.39 GHz with 2.93 GB of RAM.                            

If I shut the pc down it will take explorer back to very low or zero cpu usage but the problem comes back shortly.  I have run scans with both Spybot and Kaspersky.  I also ran Process Explorer and while it doesn't really work with XP (I don't think) it did direct me, under the strings tab, to 2988 under TID heading with a start address of ntdll.dll+0x10250.  What else can I tell you that you will need to offer some help?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by hamluis, 23 May 2013 - 07:22 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

What version of Internet Explorer are you using ? Has it been updated ? I use Internet Explorer 8 without any problems.

#3 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

Version 8 and, yes, it has been updated but I don't use it.  I use Firefox.

#4 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:47 AM

The problem is not Internet Explorer, the problem is Explorer,exe.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

It's possible the problem isn't limited to explorer.exe

--- There is something running in the background involved with Internet Explorer

--- It wouldn't surprise me if there is a conflict between IE8 & whatever Firefox version you have

--- I don't use FF but from what I understand there are some websites that don't play well with FF. Actually I've seen something like that on one of my friends computer a few years ago. He never fixed it, he just didn't bother with that website anymore. I don't know whether or not that can be the case in todays world once in a while but I just thought I would bring it up in case it's a good idea to figure that out

Is Firefox your default browser as opposed to just using it?

--- Do you have the latest version of Firefox?

--- Are all your updates and maintenance items for Firefox in order?

Another thing you can do is uncheck everything in your startups that you don't need in order for the computer to run ok

--- You can add items back in after evaluating the results

#6 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for replying and sorry it took me so long - work you know. gotta do it.  I suppose it could be a website somehow causing but I haven't done anything different lately. 

Yes, FF is my default browser and it is up to date.

Tried backing off the startup items and adding back but no change.  I think I'll try running is safe mode and see if the problem persists.

#7 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Bump

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:54 AM

Let's try this :

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download Process Explorer on your desktop.
Right-click extract all the zip file then navigate to the extracted ProcessExplorer folder and double click procexp or procexp64.
Go to View Menu - Select Columns... Checkmark Command Line under Process Image tab.
Under File menu - Save as File Name : System Idle Process
Save as type : Process Explorer Data (*.TXT) -> OK. Save the text file on your desktop and copy/paste the result on your next reply.

Tekken

#9 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I couldn't get it (Specy) to copy to the clipboard so I'm having to cut and paste the address of the results.  This is it:   http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7YpMb7MyC5TdAbSg8c6mBYk  If this doesn't work please let me know.

For the Process Explorer txt file I can't do a paste.  I can copy it from my desktop but it won't paste into this reply.  Is there an "attach" in this forum?  If so, where?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

The speccy link is not working. Try sharing them here https://www.box.com/

Tekken

#11 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ok, I have uploaded the System Idle Process.txt file to Box but I don't know how to get it to you.  I see a "send" but I need an e-mail address to send it to. 

The Speccy just won't cooperate with me at all.  I have the text info but it will not paste into Box, it will not paste into a folder I made to try to upload to Box, and the site link that it created will not paste to that folder either.  I don't know how to get that info to you. 

Please let me know what you want me to do.

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I got e-mails previously when posts were made to this thread but I didn't get one this time.

#12 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hi there, I don't mean to be ungrateful but is there any way we can speed up the responses back and forth.  I know I caused the delay once early on because of work but I started this thread a week ago and we've really gotten nowhere.  I need a way to get the information you want to you and I can't make what work what you're telling me to do. 

Thanks

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

Please try removing Spybot completely and then disable Kaspersky and see if the problem persist. What particular instance does the CPU usage on process explorer.exe goes high? Is it opening Windows Explorer, Start button, right during start up without clicking any programs?

Scan for Malware using free Malwarebytes
Install then run a quick scan only after updating to the latest definition. Please post the text result on your next reply.

Tekken

#14 guyl

guyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

I deleted Spybot and disabled Kaspersky.  Did not help.  Explorer is going to 99% usage when I go into a folder.  If I stay out of folders there doesn't seem to be a problem.  Unfortunately, I need to access folders. This is the same as before I deleted Spybot and disabled Kaspersky. 

I ran a quick scan in Malwarebytes and found no problems.  But as usual I can't paste anything into this forum.  My copy works fine (just like last time) but the paste is either grayed out or not there.  I also ran a full scan in Malwarebytes 2 days ago and it found no problems. 

If you can figure out how I can paste here I can get a copy of the results for you as well as the Speccy info you previously requested.  Is this normal that you can't copy/paste in this forum?  Is there any way to attach a file?  I have the files for both, if you give me an e-mail address I can send them to you. 

Let me know when it's ok to put Spybot back on.  I went ahead and re-enabled Kaspersky for now.

Thanks for your help.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

Is this normal that you can't copy/paste in this forum?  Is there any way to attach a file?

There is a glitch sometimes with the new forum layout as I've experienced this problem also sometimes when copy/pasting. Sometimes you must try the second line or hit enter then try using the paste function again. Have you tried changing View folder options (Details/List/Tiles)? Does it happen on all folders or just particular folders? Let's check the hard drive status first before using the windows checkdisk function.

How to obtain hard drive S.M.A.R.T data on a Windows system and then paste the report into a forum post

• Download the GSmartControl installer application:
    • Go to the GSmartControl - Downloads page.
    • Scroll part way down the page to where the current version available for download will be displayed.
      gsmartcontrolwindowsdownload.jpeg
  • Double-click the downloaded application to run it and install GSmartControl on the computer.
    Note: Vista/Win7 users, right-click > Run as Administrator
  • When installation is complete, run GSmartControl:
    • Start GSmartControl from the Start > Programs menu.
  • When the interface has loaded and scanning for hard drives is complete, click on the hard drive icon to select the device.
  • Go to Device on the top menu > View Details, and a new Device Information window will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab to display the S.M.A.R.T data values.
  • Near the bottom of the window, click on View Output and a new Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click anywhere inside that window > Select All.
  • Again right-click in that selected area > Copy.
  • Now paste that in a reply to your topic.
    Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
    • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button insertcodesnippetdetail2.jpeg
    • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
    • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
    • Lines, images and canned speech prepared by BC Advisor AustrAlien

Edited by jhayz, 01 June 2013 - 01:59 AM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users