Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer start up problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pixelvoxel

pixelvoxel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi.

On a computer I agreed to help fix with my friend, I can't seem to figure any way out.

When we start it up, there is just a blinking cursor on the top left corner, like a big command prompt that takes up the screen. However, when we try to type in stuff, it doesn't input anything and just stays blinking. Is there any way to fix this start up problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Try presssing F-8 repeatedly at startup and see if it will list advanced boot options. If so > select Last known good configuration. It sounds to me to be a failed hard drive or MBR corruption. Has the HDD been tested?

#3 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi Pixelvoxel,

In addition to bludgard's suggestion.

Some simple steps which are commonly over looked.

Do you have any USB drives attached? For example, USB external hard drives, USB memory sticks.

Do you have a disk in the CD tray?

I would try removing all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse and any CD's in the tray and see if the computer boots then.

If it boots after removing the devices, we can change the boot order in the BIOS.

Thank you.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

Good post, masher. I've seen a micro-USB dongle throw a system for a loop; and it took 2 hours to notice it was plugged... :crazy:

#5 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thank you bludgard.

I've seen this quite often and even seen the most knowledgable people trip up on this.

They use a bootable memory stick to try and diagnose a different fault, forget to change the BIOS settings and then panic when it doesn't boot any more.

I must admit, I rather like your picture of the laptop with several, what appear to be bullet holes.  Was this the result of some pent up computer related fustration?

Edited by masher92, 23 May 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I must admit, I rather like your picture of the laptop with several, what appear to be bullet holes. Was this the result of some pent up computer related fustration?

It was a project gone wrong.... I could have been a little more tolerant but where is the fun in that? Acting out (as you say) a bit of rage. It worked. Problem remedied with no loose ends. :lmao:

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

There is another sneaky little feature which I have just run into on an ASUS motherboard and Win 7, which has just cost me at least two hours frustration.

Having arrived at the blank screen with the blinking cursor, like Pixelvoxel above, and rebooting and tapping F8, this sometimes brings up a screen headed 'Boot choice' or Boot options' or something like that anyway. On this computer, which has two DVD drives installed, it offered a sequence DVD drive (1), Hard drive (1), DVD drive (2). Mistaking it for the boot priority sequence, every time it came up I clicked on DVD drive (1). Return of flashing cursor.

It was  only after I had taken a break it occurred to me to try something different - click on 'Hard drive (1). And lo !  Win 7 went and installed itself as though there had never been a problem. Just the small matter of a couple of hundred updates + a complete software re-install. Never mind, at least the (expletive deleted) thing is working.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Corrupt MBR.... Or trash HDD.

Edit: If any machine in this thread can boot via live media; it will undoubtedly point to a system error. Please confirm or deny.

I love you guys. :hug:

Edited by bludgard, 25 May 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

It was  only after I had taken a break it occurred to me to try something different - click on 'Hard drive (1). And lo !  Win 7 went and installed itself as though there had never been a problem. Just the small matter of a couple of hundred updates + a complete software re-install. Never mind, at least the (expletive deleted) thing is working.

Sometime it just take some bleeps and a back-ups and FTW!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users