Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with overheating processor.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Waspzz

Waspzz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi,  I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether I should purchase a new processor.  

The reason being, I had a problem with my PSU, it wasn't supplying power to one or a number of components.  I had to send it back to the manufacturer to be replaced as it was still under warranty.  When installing the replacement PSU, I had to remove the processor cooling fan in order to get it in.  Unfortunately I made the mistake of putting the cooling fan back in the wrong way round, it was blowing outwards rather than inwards.

I was playing a rather demanding PC game on my system (Civilization 5) whilst the fan was on the wrong way round for a number of hours.  The game now causes the whole PC to completely shut down instantly after 10 mins to an hour (it cuts out, like a short circuit or a failsafe) even though the fan is now installed correctly.  If I try to turn the PC on again immediately, it starts up but the fan just whirrs around and the system does not start up.  I remove the power cord from the back and leave it a few minutes and it starts up again.  The PC experiences no problems with other tasks such as browsing, videos, word processing etc.  I never had any problem running this game before I had to replace the PSU and I made the mistake with the fan.

Therefore, I wanted to know if anyone can advise me whether it could be due to the processor being damaged?  Or is my cooling system faulty? (The fan seems to work ok)  Should I buy a new processor or a new fan or could it be the motherboard?  I don't want to buy a new one if it isn't going to rectify the problem.

I'm really stumped.  I've tried reconnecting all the components to the new PSU, cleaning out the inside of the case, moving the base unit to a cooler place, I even leave the side off the base unit to aid cooling.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated, thank you.  

Below is a summary of the main hardware...

PSU is a 600W (Corsair CX600M).

Computer:
      Computer Type                                     ACPI x64-based PC
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
      OS Service Pack                                   [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Internet Explorer                                 10.0.9200.16576
      DirectX                                           DirectX 11.0
      Computer Name                                     TINY-PC
      User Name                                         Tiny
      Logon Domain                                      [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Date / Time                                       2013-05-22 / 19:20

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300, 2500 MHz (7.5 x 333)
      Motherboard Name                                  ECS MCP73PVT-PM
      Motherboard Chipset                               nVIDIA nForce 7100-630i
      System Memory                                     [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DIMM1: Unifosa GU342G0ALEPR692C6F                 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
      DIMM2: Unifosa GU342G0ALEPR692C6F                 [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      BIOS Type                                         AMI (07/21/09)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  (1 GB)
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  (1 GB)
      3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
      Monitor                                           Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]  (1543808595784)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI @ nVIDIA MCP73 - High Definition Audio Controller
      Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GF114 - High Definition Audio Controller
      Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GF114 - High Definition Audio Controller
      Audio Adapter                                     Realtek ALC1200 @ nVIDIA MCP73 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller
      IDE Controller                                    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
      Disk Drive                                        Generic Mini SD Reader USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic USB CF Reader USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic USB MS Reader USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic USB SD Reader USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        Generic USB xD/SM Reader USB Device
      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 ATA Device  (640 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
      Optical Drive                                     ATAPI DVD A  DH16AASH ATA Device
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                         [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Total Size                                        [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input:
      Keyboard                                          Standard PS/2 Keyboard
      Mouse                                             Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
      Mouse                                             Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

Network:
      Primary IP Address                                [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      Primary MAC Address                               70-1A-04-CF-F5-5B
      Network Adapter                                   Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
      Network Adapter                                   Qualcomm Atheros AR5006GS Wireless Network Adapter  (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
      Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)  (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])

Peripherals:
      Printer                                           Fax
      Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
      USB1 Controller                                   nVIDIA MCP73 - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
      USB2 Controller                                   nVIDIA MCP73 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
      USB Device                                        Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
      USB Device                                        USB Input Device
      USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device

DMI:
      DMI BIOS Vendor                                   AMI
      DMI BIOS Version                                  P01-A3
      DMI System Manufacturer                           Packard Bell
      DMI System Product                                ixtreme M3720
      DMI System Version                                
      DMI System Serial Number                          [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DMI System UUID                                   [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DMI Motherboard Manufacturer                      Packard Bell
      DMI Motherboard Product                           MCP73PVT-PM
      DMI Motherboard Version                           
      DMI Motherboard Serial Number                     [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DMI Chassis Manufacturer                          Packard Bell
      DMI Chassis Version                               
      DMI Chassis Serial Number                         [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DMI Chassis Asset Tag                             [ TRIAL VERSION ]
      DMI Chassis Type                                  Desktop Case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

This sounds like thermal shut down - a power supply safety feature. One cheap thing you could try before you consider any more expensive solutions.

Is there any possibility you disturbed / moved the heat sink when you took the fan off ?  Get hold of a tube of heatsink compound. Remove the fan and the heatsink from the CPU mount - it's not necessary to remove the CPU - and clean the mating faces of the heatsink and the CPU. Then apply a light smear of the compound to one of the two faces - ie either the top of the CPU or the bottom of the heatsink, and then replace the fan and heatsink. You don't need anything special to clean the faces, I normally use either a paper handkerchief or a clean bit of rag. Just don't get it on your clothes, it takes forever to wash out !

If you don't have any heatsink compound to hand you can get it in any electronics store or on-line from any number of suppliers - just google 'heat sink compound'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Mr Cosgrove is right, though I would advise that you put the heat sink compund on the surface of the processor rather than the heat sink, and spread it carefully so as to get a perfectly smooth thin layer covering the entire square flat upper contact surface of the processor before you reinstall the heat sink. Finally I would recommend "Arctic Silver 5" as being the best heat sink compound to use.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

Hi.

No I do not believe You damaged Your processor.

The computer is designed to shut down before the CPU temperature gets hot enough to damage the CPU.

I believe that if it was damaged it would not be working.

If You buy arctic silver thermal compound, their website has tutorials on how to properly apply the thermal compound..

One other thought, Do not use your finger to smear the thermal compound around.

Use Isopropyl alcohol to clean both surfaces, Lint free cloth

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Waspzz

Waspzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks very much for everybodies help on this. I have ordered the Arctic 5 thermal compound. I'll apply it and let you know the results. It'll take a couple of days for it to get to me. I'll let you all know if it works. Im wondering if the original paste my have melted off then or maybe I cleaned it off?

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Well if you remove the Heat sink from the processor, that wrecks the thermal componds heat transfer abilities, because the compound drys to some extent after the heat sink is applied, and if you remove and reinstall the heat sink, the heat tranfer capability is considerably reduced, unless you clean off the old heat sink compound, then apply fresh compound before you reinstall the heat sink.

#7 Waspzz

Waspzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same problem.  The CPU doesn't seem to be getting as hot now I've applied the Arctic Silver 5 but my computer seems to shut down if I play Civilization and occasionally if i leave it on for a little while.  

I have to leave it for a few minutes and turn off the power at the PSU before it will turn back on again.  I'm really not sure what it could be.  Any suggestions?

#8 Waspzz

Waspzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Also I applied it exactly as it said to do. I have another problem now tjough because my PC fails to start up if I shut it down. I usually have ro turn it off and on a few times before it even starts up. What could this be? Is something damaged? I don't really know where to start tbh. Thanks.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi, How old is this computer? The not turning on properly does sound like a hardware problem.

Can You post a sharp image of the motherboard as it is in the case?

Thanks

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Another issue is : Is your heatsink clean ? i.e. completely dust free ?

#11 terrytek

terrytek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

It could be that the fins on the heatsink (if it has any) may be bent and may reduce the thermal transfer. Is your fan spinning at all? If it isn't it could overheat the processor by not transferring the heat out of the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users