Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU overheats and shuts down, please help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dDayan

dDayan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Okay, so it's my first post on these kinds of forums - I basically searched "pc help forum" on google, bacause I just don't know what to do anymore. So, here it goes :D :

My PC is about 6 years old (I bought it in late 2007). The CPU gets to about 130 degrees celcius (that's 266 Fahrenheit), and then shuts down.

Here are the hardware specs:

Video card: NVIDIA Ge-Force 8800 GT with 512 MB

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (dual core)

RAM: 3582 MB RAM DDR2

The motherboard is Gigabyte (don't know anything else about it) - but it's on the same page with everything else

The power suply is a Corsair with 700W

Running on Windows 7 Ultimate

The case is very old and dull and has practically no airflow atm. The side panel has been removed for more than one year, and everything is preety much full of dust [except the CPU fan and heatsink, which I've cleaned in order to change the thermal paste (I just did) and the only fan on the case, which is on the back].

So the PC has been like that for about two years, and it has worked fine. The CPU has the overheating problem since I've decided to open the case - that is for 2 years. At first, it only overheated when I was playing games that stressed the hardware (like Crysis). I believe that it started to overheat due to the lack of airflow (hence my decision to remove the side panel) and/or the dust - the case was never been cleaned, at least not in the last 4 years (yeah yeah what can I say, I'm lazy).

The CPU is not overlocked (it has been, from 2.7 to 3, but not anymore). In fact it is when I decided to overclock it that it started to overheat and shut down. I've left it at 2.9 for some time.

I've monitored the temperature with CoreTemp. This is how it behaves:

I start the game, and it runs at about 55-61 degrees celcius. Usually, if it gets above that with even 2-3 degrees, it starts climbing up to 100. When it reaches 130, it shuts down.

But the thing is that my CPU is now overheating when playing Flash games, or even watching HD Videos. Yeah... summer is here, and with 30 degrees in the room are not helping.

What I'd like to ask you guys is what should I do...? Is it worth trying to get another few years out of the system? Because I really don't play new games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3. I have the console for that. On the pc, I enjoy playing games like League of Legends, Minecraft and few HL2 mods. So what I'd like to do is know how to fix the temp issue, without buying a new system.

Is it beyond repair? If I buy a new case,coolers and clean the dust will that sustain the hardware for a few more years untill I change it?

Edited by dDayan, 22 May 2013 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hi dDayan,

The system configuration is good and a dust free system will perform optimally. Load the BIOS defaults by following the instructions from the motherboard's manual.

I also suggest you to change the processor cooler and check if the temperature remains under 70 Degree Celsius at full load. You may consider changing the processor if it overheats again.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 dDayan

dDayan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi dDayan,

The system configuration is good and a dust free system will perform optimally. Load the BIOS defaults by following the instructions from the motherboard's manual.

I also suggest you to change the processor cooler and check if the temperature remains under 70 Degree Celsius at full load. You may consider changing the processor if it overheats again.

I'll clean it, change the case and the fans then. Hope that will solve it.

#4 dDayan

dDayan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Any more suggestions? xD

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

Did you do anything yet?

If it was mine, the heatsink and fan would immediately come off.  Check for any broken cooler mounts on the motherboard.  Apply a proper thermal compound, clean heatsink and fan, reassemble.  Leave case open to verify proper operation (mainly that fan blows the right direction).

If that don't fix it, then I am out of ideas.......................for now.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 dDayan

dDayan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Well I didn't have time to do anything to it yet. But the cpu fan and heatsink have been cleaned, and the thermal compund has been changed. The other components (like the video card) haven't been cleaned, but they don't make any problems either.

-> The thermal paste is some white stuff I bought one year ago from a local store. They didn't have anymore to sell, so they gave me the one that they had been using for the computers at the shop xD. It seems fine to me, unless this stuff expires or something. I will buy the silver better one though, to see if that works.

-> The CPU cooler is blowing in the right direction (towards the CPU). If replacing the thermal paste won't do it, I'll change the cooler. If that doesn't cut it, I'll buy a new case, clean all the hardware, and see if I can get few more years out of it... untill I buy new hardware.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

When you get it apart just double check to make sure the heatsink was contacting properly.  Not so much on AMD builds, but the old P4 heatsinks would break their mounts and lose contact with the CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hi dDayan,

Thank you for providing an update on the status. The thermal compund would have lost its ability to transfer the heat effectively from the processor to the heat sink. I suggest you to use a recently packed thermal compound. Please make sure that the cooler is seated properly and there is no gap between the heatsink and the processor.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#9 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

You could also try replacing the heatsink and fan with one designed to provide better cooling. My machine is an Intel Q6600 2.4 GHz Quadcore on a Gigabyte GA- P35-DS3L mobo, with 4 Gig of DDR2 RAM, an ATI Radeon 4850 Video Card with 512 Meg of memory, and a Soundblaster Audigy soundcard. I used a Thermaltake Max Orb EX CPU Cooler, with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, and the case has a 90mm front chassis fan, two side chassis fans mounted on the removable side cover, one 120mm and one 80mm. blowing air into the case.

NOTE : All fans blowing air into the case are equipped with my own homemade "Dust Filters"

The case also has a 90mm rear chassis fan and there is also the 90mm power supply fan as well as 4 socket 7 HDD cooling fans blowing air out of the case. My CPU normally runs at anywhere from 35 degrees C to 43 degrees C, (right now it is 39 degrees C), and I have never seen it go above 49 degrees C.

SEE : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493633/how-to-make-a-computer-super-reliable/

AND  my reply to this thread : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494132/windows-is-unresponsive-and-computer-is-very-loud/

Edited by JHMcG, 02 June 2013 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users