Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lindsemorr

lindsemorr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I am having trouble with updates on my computer. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an hp Pavillion dm4. Windows Update tells me when I have new updates, but when I try to install them, the updates fail. The error codes associated with the failure have varied (although code 652, 642, and 80070652 seem to appear most often).

I have ran a full scan on Malwarebytes and the scan finds no issues. However, when looking at my Symantec Endpoint Protection, the virus definitions are out of date as of the end of 2012 (last updated ~Dec 28). When I try to run this, LiveUpdate does not work, and says it should be reinstalled. I have tried this unsuccessfully. The Symantec was provided to me by my college and it will not let me uninstall it.

There are seemingly random updates that go through successfully in Windows Update, but the vast majority will not work. Some other updates on my computer, such as Java, tell me that they cannot update because "another installation is currently in progress," but unless this is referring to my failed Windows Updates, I do not know what installation is being referred to. Recently, only small things like Internet browser updates have been successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (And if it would be more appropriate for me to post this question in another forum topic, please let me know).

Thanks,

Lindsey

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2013 - 12:16 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infectgd - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi,

I am having trouble with updates on my computer. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on an hp Pavillion dm4. Windows Update tells me when I have new updates, but when I try to install them, the updates fail. The error codes associated with the failure have varied (although code 652, 642, and 80070652 seem to appear most often).

I have ran a full scan on Malwarebytes and the scan finds no issues. However, when looking at my Symantec Endpoint Protection, the virus definitions are out of date as of the end of 2012 (last updated ~Dec 28). When I try to run this, LiveUpdate does not work, and says it should be reinstalled. I have tried this unsuccessfully. The Symantec was provided to me by my college and it will not let me uninstall it.

There are seemingly random updates that go through successfully in Windows Update, but the vast majority will not work. Some other updates on my computer, such as Java, tell me that they cannot update because "another installation is currently in progress," but unless this is referring to my failed Windows Updates, I do not know what installation is being referred to. Recently, only small things like Internet browser updates have been successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (And if it would be more appropriate for me to post this question in another forum topic, please let me know).

Thanks,

Lindsey

Hi,

Your virus protection is seriously out of date. Please contact the college help desk to get that problem resolved. If you are no longer associated with the college and heel help with your Norton product you can go to www.community.norton.com and post your problem and someone will assist you.

You are at risk of being infected and need to work quickly to get protection current.

If you then determine you are infected or have a question about it post back

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 lindsemorr

lindsemorr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I agree, the virus protection is extremely out of date and needs to be addressed. However, it seems like this is only part of the issue (especially since both Malwarebytes and SpyBots scans came back clean). For instance, I attempted to download AVG AntiVirus and it gave me the "another installation is in progress" message than many other updates are giving me. Any idea why this would occur?

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Please check that the Date/Time in BIOS reflects that of system (Windows) date/time and that they are accurate.

#5 lindsemorr

lindsemorr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

BIOS (version F.26) has correct date/time information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users