Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Pitched Noise from Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chuck4100

chuck4100

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

So, I have looked at a few forums for this topic and some threads would suggest that the mobo 'may-be' bad.

Specs:
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo Processor 3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA775
Intel DG45ID Motherboard - Intel G45 Express, Socket 775, DDR2 800/667 MHz

Issue:

There is a high pitched noise/whining coming from the mobo, I believe to be from around the cpu or chipset area.

T/S/R attempted:
I have narrowed it down to the mobo by unplugging/removing everything I could down to just the psu main cable and the case power button.  I started by removing/unplugging the fans, cd d, hdd1, hdd2, the ram then the cpu and all the misc cables (usb, audio, reset switch)

Pretty sure its not the psu because it is out of the case and ~1/2 foot away, also I tried another PSU that doesn't really fit the board at 20-pins but it turned on. At all points the noise continued, the computer boots to bios fine and the noise dampened once when i pressed down on the chipset heatsink..... I installed Win7 and the noise continues even then, however, it does change slightly and stopped 99% for about 2 secs without actually doing anything, I had also noted that the sound is intermittent, as in the signal is fully in/out. (currently connected to monitor via HDMI from onboard GFX adapter) 

Greatly appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Edited by chuck4100, 21 May 2013 - 10:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I have to admit in all my years in the electronics repair field I have never heard of an IC chip making a noise. That is unless the chip has some sort of sporadic oscillation taking place, to which an electrolytic capacitor can exhibit a strange noise. 

I realize you disconnected various cooling fans attached to the motherboard, but I have to ask this question to confirm something I may have misunderstood. Have you tried disabling the CPU cooling fan briefly to verify if this is the cause of the noise? I do not recommend allowing the computer too run long in this condition, so keep it brief!

Bruce.  

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 chuck4100

chuck4100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Yes i did, and i ran it without the CPU in..... =(

P.S. Pretty sure its a different issue however, I've noticed with Win7 on it and going to webpages with explorer or chrome it was not getting security certificates correctly and every page was coming up as dangerous or what-not.

Edited by chuck4100, 22 May 2013 - 12:06 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:33 AM

If it isn't the fan, then you likely have a coil whine.  Looking at a pic there are 5 coils on the board, 3 near the CPU.  Usually a dab of hot glue on the coil helps to dampen the noise.  To narrow it down, a couple feet of small diameter tubing can be used like a stethoscope.  One end in your ear, other end above the component you suspect.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 chuck4100

chuck4100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Well mr dPunisher sir, a brilliant idea indeed. Took a length of tygon up to one ear and just about pinpointed the noise. There is a coil and a ... thingy.. near the main power connection and i cant quite tell because it seems louder over the 'not-the-coil' piece.

ictr0o.jpg

And about the glue comment, I really don't have any hot glue devices handy, nore feel like aquiring just to dampen the noise, do you think something like Gorilla wood glue would work or be ok for the board?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:50 PM

Chuck that part appears to be a voltage regulator on what appears to be some sort of aluminum heat sink.  Your coil is surrounded by and wound around a ferrite structure. Obviously it is a single core transformer related to the power input from the PSU. If the windings are loose, they can cause a vibration as the current circulates around the windings, such as how a power transformer can sometimes have a slight humming noise. As time goes on the vibration can become more noticeable and sometimes down-right annoying.

My bet is, it is that transformer that is causing the noise. Any glue can act as a insulator and might possibly stop the noise. even Elmer's glue-all will offer some relief, it may not cause any issues, but I would suggest any liquid glue such as Elmer's be allowed to set and harden before attempting to power up the board. 

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Since I see you are already reading this forum rather than edit my last post I'll add a new one, that coil could also be what is called a choke, it filters out stray emissions from the power supply circuitry. Being that I can not see the road map located on the under side of the board I can not see how many legs there are to this part. It appears it may have only two, which makes it a choke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(electronics) 

Edited to correct broken link.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 23 May 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

I just suggest hot glue on choke coils because there is no water in it, and it is rubbery and a pretty good dampener.  OEMs use it on power supplies that have coil whine problems..<cough> Seasonic<cough>.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 chuck4100

chuck4100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well, Thank you both for the assistance.

I went ahead and just put a blob of glue on top of the coil and let it set overnight. Can still hear it enough to annoy me... however, it is significantly reduced and bearable.

Again, Thank you.  =)

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

Glad things worked out well for you and that, we here at BC were able to assist you in resolving this issue.

Anytime you need help or advice, we'll be here when you need us.

:thumbup2:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users