Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions from XP home backup to Win 7 home premium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cirrus0007

Cirrus0007

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

This is the problem that I have.

I have a back-up of all my files accessible from Bounceback express (which is the back- up program that came from the box). This is visible from win 7.

The files and folders are from my previous XP computer. My docs, my pics etc. I can see them through the hard drive backup  them but I can't open them.
They say I need administrator privelages, but they are my files and folders. How can I remove this permission obstruction when they are my folders?

What I want to do is gather the folders from the back up of XP and place them into Windows 7.
I invested in a backup thinking it will be easy to fix if things crashed.  

If I set administrator privelages in the past how can I open them and use them in win 7, when the old pc is kaput ?
Thank you soo much if any help is able
Cirrus0007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi

Adding full read and write permission to those folders probably fix your problem. You can change the access permission of a file or folder form the "Security" tab. Read the below guides to set full permission to tha folders.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-File-Permissions-on-Windows-7

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

<<The files and folders are from my previous XP computer. My docs, my pics etc. I can see them through the hard drive backup  them but I can't open them.>>

This is a typical scenario when...viewing files/folders in My Documents...on a system which is not the one which originally housed those files/folders.  The typical cure is to take ownership of the files/folders.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder, Win 7 - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2013 - 06:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users