Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AV Comparatives Bad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deleted

Deleted

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

While I was browsing through COMODO forums, I noticed this post: http://forums.comodo.com/melihs-corner-ceo-talkdiscussionsblog/avcomparativesorg-bullying-censorship-and-financial-dealscontinued-t78934.0.html

Is this true or is COMODO just trying to make AV Comparatives look bad? I mainly use AV Comparatives for info on anti-viruses so this is quite disturbing for me.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 May 2013 - 08:32 PM.
moved from General Chat to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Please read http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629 and take note of this ..........
There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus.

Now read http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/commerical/choosing-anti-virus-software_784

Thank You -

NOTE - I have never paid for any Antivirus or Firewall program, but we still see people in the Malware Removal area with Paid Norton, or even Kaspersky programs........... Can you read anything from that ??

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

And I have yet to find a single security product that will protect me from 100% of the thousands of threats released daily 100% of the time. I would recommend the one sctive scanner security program of the user's choice and at least one and maybe two on demand scanners that can be run as compliments. I find the combination appears to be useful.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hi -

You should always look for Layers in your protection, as no single program is, and will ever be, 100% perfect.

One active Antivirus, and one active Antimalware, along with a few minor extras to be secure -

Read the postings from quietman7 for some good idea -

Thank You -

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Is this true or is COMODO just trying to make AV Comparatives look bad? I mainly use AV Comparatives for info on anti-viruses so this is quite disturbing for me.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Deleted

Deleted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Thank you.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016