Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Optiplex GX260

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 terrytek

terrytek

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hey BleepingComputer community,

I was wondering... One time, I had a dell Optiplex with an Intel Pentium 4 running @ 2.4 GHz with Windows XP Professional installed. Once, i was cleaning inside the computer and i had no idea why, but i removed the processor from the motherboard. When I installed the processor, I did not correctly align it on accident. When I plugged everything in, and powered it on, nothing showed up, no cursor, no POST, nothing. When I opened the case back open, I noticed that after I removed the processor, Pins 1-4 were bent!! Is there any processors out there on the market that can replace this screwed processor, which is a socket PGA 423. Please reply as I am soon selling this computer off for money

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi

Socket PGA 423 CPU are very rare to available as it last long only 9 months after introduction and replaced by Socket 478. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_423

If you are interested here are some links to purchase used socket 423 CPU -

#3 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think it was PGA 478 because it was a while since i checked the computer. If it was PGA 478, i need some suggestions as well for this socket family as well. But before i buy these processors, i need to ask my parents for permission because I am only 13

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just an opinion....before putting any money into that system...I would seriously consider replacing the motherboard/CPU/RAM...or buying a refurbished system as an "upgrade".  Such suggestion is always contingent upon how much money one wishes to invest in a system...but that system would be inferior to many of the refurbished systems currently available from reputable sellers.

That alternative approach...may yield better results than attempting to sell the system.  I doubt that there is very much demand for the current system since value would be limited by its computer-era age.

And...some consideration should be given to the fact that anything sold/bought without a warranty of substance...is purchased with "caveat emptor" as the key phrase.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi

I also recommend upgrading the CPU than repairing this old one. But it won't cost too much to try an old CPU. 

You can verify the socket number by checking the number written on the socket. 

If it is socket 423, buy a cheap CPU like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-4-2GHz-512-400-SL6S7-Processor-/261217628285?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cd1c8b07d

If it is socket 478, buy a cheap one like this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-4-2GHz-512-400-SL6S7-Processor-/261217628285?pt=CPUs&hash=item3cd1c8b07d

Both costs only USD 4$. Even if those are not working, you have nothing to loose.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 May 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#6 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Both of these processors are slower than the 2.2 GHz P4 inside of the computer right now. Is there a chance there is one faster than this one for about the same price?

-Terry Tek

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hi

It is better to use the same CPU as replacement. A higher frequency CPU may not be supported by the board. There are lot of cheap P4 available in ebay . Make sure to buy from a seller with good feedback score.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-SL5YS-Pentium-4-2-20GHz-512-400-Socket-478-P4-CPU-Processor-Fully-Tested-/370817045115?pt=CPUs&hash=item56566b127b

#8 terrytek

terrytek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

hey louis, 

just so u know, i am selling this computer because i simply have too many computers. If i sell this computer, it will save a lot of closet space. Do u also know where i can get some ATA/133 IDE HDDS, particularly 160 GB or less, because some of these computers have no hard drives or hard drives that were removed for me to keep for myself. so just to let u know, ok?

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:32 AM

Hi

Unlike CPU, HDD is prone to wear and tear every time you use it. If you managed to get an old used HDD, probably it won't be in a good shape. You can still buy an IDE HDD with warranty, but it is not worth to spend too much money in an old system.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:11 AM

hey louis, 

just so u know, i am selling this computer because i simply have too many computers. If i sell this computer, it will save a lot of closet space. Do u also know where i can get some ATA/133 IDE HDDS, particularly 160 GB or less, because some of these computers have no hard drives or hard drives that were removed for me to keep for myself. so just to let u know, ok?

Then why don't you give it away to someone who needs it. That's what I did with my old PC when I upgraded. Old PCs are worth so little these days that it could cost more to sell it than it's worth.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:13 AM

Agree with frankp316 and Anshad.

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users