Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error "insufficient System Resources Exist To Complete The Requested Service"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 revurboasis

revurboasis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

I am experiencing an interesting problem with system resources in Windows XP which, quite frankly, is driving me mad!!!

I leave my PC on for days and lately, after being on for about a day it would give me an error:
"insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" when I try to open any program such as Mozilla firefox, iTunes, etc... My whole computer becomes useless as nothing seems to work, not even task manager. The only thing I can do is reboot, and the whole thing happens again after being on for a certain amount of time.

My computer specs: 3.2 ghz, 2 X 160 GB SATA in RAID 0 (1 newly installed), 1gb of RAM, Dell Dimension 8400.
I have enough memory, so I don't know what's up. I scanned my computer already and nothing comes up.

I'm getting so frustrated having to reboot, and coming back after a long day and finding my computer completely unfunctional.

Can someone please help me?

Edited by revurboasis, 11 April 2006 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

Have you updated, and run your antivirus?
Have you run any Spyware/Malware programs?
What Spyware/Malware programs do you use?

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)

aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:01 AM

If this happens when you leave your computer on for extended periods while you are away, it almost sounds like there is a memory leak in some application (s) you have running in the background; it is using memory for something then not clearing it out afterwards.
It would not hurt to check to see what programmes and applications are running in the background, and kill any of them that are not needed (see the BC startup program database for quidance).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:22 AM

Just to reinforce the ideas being pursued in this thread:

Duplicate the issue with your computer and then ctrl + alt + del will bring up the Task Manager. Click on 'Performance' tab. Look under Physical Memory and tell us the numbers for Total and Available.

Also the average number for CPU usage, especially when you duplicate the issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 revurboasis

revurboasis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

Yes, I have run an update and scanned my entire computer. I use my schools anti-virus program: Sophos AntiVirus as well as Webroot Spy Sweeper. I also scanned my computer using free online scans. After scanning, it doesn't see anything critical that could be the cause as the problem still persists.

For the memory leak problem, I don't see any programs using any excessive amount of memory. It's the usual programs running and I haven't used any programs more and less than before this problem started. I did suspect Yahoo Widgets, so I've quit the program now and waiting to see if this problem will happen again.

Albert Frankenstein when you told me to duplicate the issue, then check the physical memory, I can't do that b/c when the issue occurs, my computer becomes useless. That means I can't even check the task manager even if I wanted to.

Hope this helps.

Edited by revurboasis, 12 April 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:23 PM

Use Startup Inspector which is better than msconfig because it tells you what the startups are associated with, minimizing the chance of stopping a critical ap from starting. It also doesn't require reseting your startup mode to normal startup as msconfig may.

Startup Inspector (freeware):
http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

And, while you're there you may also want to download Startup Monitor which is a small ap that will alert you if anything tries to get added to the startups and require your conscious permission for anything to do so.

#7 cabledog

cabledog

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

I am having the same problem after installing SP2. I did some research and they say it is a feature added to help your PC not run so slow. But it seems to have the opposit affect. There are some tools you can downwnload to fix it. Go to control panel, Event viewer, then click on the item, get the event ID # and do a search on Google, there are several sites there with a tool to install to correct this.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

If you have a problem that results from installing SP2 or any other Microsoft security update Microsoft offers free support to resolve such issues:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

Here are the specs for his system:

Type: Media
Processor Family: Intel 5 Series (Pentium 4)
Installed RAM: 1024 MB
Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
RAID: Yes
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon x800
Primary Optical Drive: Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW
Secondary Optical Drive: CD-RW
Monitor Type: LCD
Screen Size: 19 inches

In his fist post he says, "My computer specs: 3.2 ghz, 2 X 160 GB SATA in RAID 0 (1 newly installed)"

My opinion he has either mis-installed the new Raid or he has a RAM problem. I would suggest calling Dell tech support because if it is a RAM problem RAM is usually guaratnteed for life by a lot of companies. Dell might honor it even though the computer might be out of warrantee - I do not know if it is out of warrantee or not but give it a try.

Something is loading up the system processes and RAM and it could be soemthing simple and probably is, so if you do not want to call Dell look for something simple like a loose RAM chip or something like that.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:13 PM

It might be RAM and you can use the following to test it:

RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

If it is indeed Raid 0 do you have the drives set up on different controllers?
Raid 0 has 0 Fault Tolerance. Failure of any drive in the array results in loss of all data.

Lack of fault tolerance means no rapid recovery from failures. Failure of any drive results in array being lost and immediate downtime until array can be rebuilt and data restored from backup, if any.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 April 2006 - 07:21 PM.

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

ThorXP may be on to it, but I just remembered a case I had that was similar. It was RAID related in that one of the power connectors kept coming loose from the HD. So, you could try turning off the computer, unplug the power and data cable for a hard drive and then plug them back in. Then do the same for the second drive. See if things improve.

If you happen to have the side panel off your computer, put it back on. I also once saw a cat walking around a guys feet while he was working with his computer, and the cat could bump the cables inside his computer box (on the floor) as the side panel was off. Well, SATA drives do not connect very well. It is easy to knock a cable loose. The computer would simply freeze.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

Dell computers typically come with a bootable diagnostic CD that you can use to check all components inside your computer. I had a defective hard drive at work, ran the diagnostic CD, and it come up with an error code to give to Dell when I called their support number.

Good-luck.
JC

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

Try the Dell Support Wizard on the following page:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...c=us&l=en&s=gen

1 user(s) are reading this topic