Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to move filws and folders from drive "C" to "D"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 queenbar

queenbar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Hello

My first ever technology post...

Have MSI all in one pc. Windows 7.

The C: drive is labeled OS_Install and the D; drive has no particular label.

My C drive is getting very full while I have a lot of space in the D drive.

I want to make up room on my C drive and move the "heavy" files & folders to D

When I check the properties of my C drive folders they don't add up to the GB's indicated (maybe hidden properties).

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails which I suspect is the larger contributor to the C capacity.

Questions:

1. How do I safely move folders & files from C to D? 
  2. How can I tell what to move and what not to move?
  3. How to I move Mozilla Thunderbird and all its program to D?
  4. How can I change the default location for downloads etc?

MANY thanks in advance,

SL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Answer #1 = It depends on what the files are for as to wether they can be moved

Answer #2 = You should no move anything that is part of your OS or installed programs! You can install new programs to the alternate location however some of their data will still be written to your c drive regardless.

Answer #3 = see answer #2

Answer #4 = You can right click on the downloads folder and go the location tab it allows you to set a new target (target being a folder you specify on any drive you want)

If your C and D drives are stored on a single storage device? you can always delete the d drive and then expand the C partition to use the whole drive....just a thought.

As for you comment about hidden files, you can find hidden files by pressing one one of the F keys (I forget which one) and then under tools there is a section called folder properties fill in the box that says show hidden files. Please remember that if you use the right click properties menu to get the size of your "windows" folder you will be given an inaccurate result regardless of hidden files. The winsxs inside the windows directory folder uses wierd links that cause explorer (not talking about internet explorer) to return a larger number of GB than is actually on the disk. However it's still very big.

Signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users